"Hot spot" Type Question

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

As a vocational teacher currently using Blackboard, and happily moving to Canvas, I would really like to see a "Hot Spot" question on a test. Blackboard uses this. It gives the students a picture, and the students must click on the correct area. For example, I teach Information Technology and the students need to know the components of a motherboard. I can post a picture of the motherboard, and then drag a box around the correct answer area...say the CPU socket. Then, the student must click on that area. Obviously, the nomenclature of the question type could not be hot spot, but I think this would be invaluable to Canvas!

Comments from Instructure

This idea was completed with general availability of Quizzes.Next.  You can find more information about the overall project in the Quizzes.Next User Group.‌

• Quizzes.Next is now available for all paid accounts.
  • Quizzes.Next documentation will live in the Quizzes.Next User Group until July 14, 2018. On July 14, 2018, all of the documentation will be moved to the Canvas Guides in the Canvas Instructor Guide or Canvas Student Guide
  • Quizzes.Next updates will be included in the Canvas Release Notes. This includes new features, updated features, and relevant fixed bugs. New and updated features will be deployed to Quizzes.Next near the same time as the Canvas release. Fixed bugs may be deployed at any time.
25 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea has resurfaced and will be open for voting February 3, 2016

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/4525

andersonshar
Community Novice

This idea has been resurrected and is now open for voting!  Please vote!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea will remain in the open voting forum as an idea related to Priority: Quizzes.Next

*Being a related idea does not guarantee it is slated for development, instead it indicates that the idea is related to the overall scope and is being used to inform the process.

ProfessorBeyrer
Community Coach
Community Coach

This is a great idea for all the reasons stated. I would love to use this in my history classes, asking students to identify particular locales on a map. If it's added, I hope that the documentation includes options for universal design principles to be used so "hotspot" questions are accessible to students with disabilities.

siouxgeonz
Community Contributor

I think that more people simply *expect * to be able to hit hot spots.   

I saw an example of a reasonably clever workaround where the "spots" were numbered, and you entered the n;umber, but being able to just hit the spot (and then have something happen to it -- highlighting or changing color so you know it's registered)  and then click "yes, that's the one I want" would be awesome and would lend itself to more game-like scenarios.

I'd be glad to help explore ways to make it accessible -- in some ways it could be  more accessible.   

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

FYI ... Deactivated user‌ talked about hotspots in the new Modern Quizzing Engine (currently in development) during last year's InstructureCon 2016 conference.  Check out the 17 minute 12 second mark in this video: .

lsmith129
Community Participant

Try this one: Priority: Quizzes.Next 

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

There are certain HTML tags that are not allowed inside of the RCE of Canvas courses, and so they are stripped out.  This document details the ones that are accepted: https://s3.amazonaws.com/tr-learncanvas/docs/Canvas_HTML_Whitelist.pdf 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Deactivated user‌, after reading https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-1330-how-do-i-create-a-new-feature-idea?sr=search&searchId=... you can submit an idea to https://community.canvaslms.com/community/ideas?sr=search&searchId=51327e59-19f2-4017-8ea6-df9bf9446... that focuses on the element or tag you want to see added to the HTML Whitelist. 

campbellj
Community Member

Love this for computer tech classes - Would love to put a screen shot from our application up and ask where to click to complete certain tasks.