"Message students who..." feature should filter by Section when selected.

We have lots of courses with several sections. In Gradebook, our teachers would like to use the "message students who.." feature by Section. Currently, even when you filter by Section in the Gradebook,  the "message students who" feature still populates the message with ALL students in the course who fit the criteria, not just the ones in that section.

When "All Sections" is selected it should default to this but when a specific Section is Selected it should only message students who fit the criteria within that section.

Currently because of this it makes the "Message Students Who" feature useless to any course with Sections.

P.S I know this feature has been posted before and didn't get enough votes and this is the only way I can see to get the feature back into voting.Biray Seitz

19 Comments
biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

185335_pastedImage_3.pngThank you for your submission, gharbor  As you've already referenced,  was once submitted in a different voting period, but archived due to lack of votes or inadequate response. You may want to reference this idea for insight.

Since archived ideas can be re-submitted, your idea will be open for vote in the next voting cycle.

In the meantime, help your idea gain traction by posting a link to this idea in the comments of the other, archived idea (which will notify author and anyone who is following the idea) and share your idea to colleagues and peers as well.

gharbor
Community Participant

Other than posting a reply to this forum, how else can I can this "feature" out into the community for voting? Not all my staff have a Canvas account to vote..

If anyone here has some suggestions please let me know

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

gharbor, while anyone--logged in or not--can view the resources in the Community, only those members who are authenticated (logged in) can vote on feature ideas, and that is by intention. If your staff have Canvas log-ins, they can use those to create Community accounts to log in and vote. If they don't have Canvas log-ins, they can create Free-for-Teachers accounts and use those credentials to create Community accounts--and vote. :smileylaugh:

gharbor
Community Participant

Is there more information that needs to be "gathered" about this feature request?

gharbor
Community Participant

stefaniesanders‌ do you know if this feature is included in the new Gradebook release?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

gharbor‌, we don't have an additional update at this time. Please monitor the https://community.canvaslms.com/community/ideas?sr=search&searchId=140e4c96-ac7c-4650-85a7-63908d337... and follow the https://community.canvaslms.com/community/ideas/priority-gradebook-enhancements?sr=search&searchId=9...‌ space to stay on top of developments and receive notifications of updates when they become available.

snelson6
Community Contributor

Grant - My school REALLY needs this. I am going to send it around to see if I can raise awareness. I agree with you, without this feature, the tool is really useless for us!

@eoneill ‌  @mevans1 ‌  @tcrandall ‌

eoneill
Community Novice

Agreed!

gharbor
Community Participant

stefaniesanders‌ do you know if this feature request has had any movement yet? I know that it's been on the Product Radar now for over a year, but not sure if it's any closer to being developed?

skeefer
Community Novice

Our school really needs this feature! I hope we prioritize it so our professors can use this tool!!!

sultana728
Community Novice

This would be incredibly useful for our programs! 

mevans1
Community Novice

stefaniesandersgharbor‌ We are currently testing if we could temporarily assign professors to just ONE section and turn on "only interact with their section" in order to trick "Message Students Who" into thinking that the professor has a limited vantage point and forcing it to only message students in that section. Have you been able to test this workaround? Any thoughts on this potential workaround? 

gharbor
Community Participant

Our teachers are already assigned to certain sections based on which class in the cohort they teach, it makes no difference. The message just goes to all students in the course rather than that selected section.

Super frustrating. #gradebookenhancements_new

gharbor
Community Participant

Was at canvascon‌ today and am excited about the new gradebook features. I'm still unclear as to whether this is going to be fixed in the new gradebook updates??

#gradeboookenhancements_new

#gradebookenhanvements

emily
Community Champion

Ayup. I just irritated a whole lot of students because I assumed if I was looking at one section, "Message students who..." would only send to students in that section...and then sent alerts about three different assignments.

It was like repeatedly "replying to all"....in 2018...from an IT professional... *facepalm*

FWIW, every person I've talked to about "Message students who..." also assumes if you are looking at only one section, it will apply only to that section. So lots of upvotes for this feature! 

matthew_martin1
Community Novice

Some of us teach in a setting in which students are placed in to different "sections" of the same course due to starting the course and completing at different times. For situations like this, being able to message only the students in an earlier section missing an assignment from the gradebook (and not those in a later section who have not yet gotten to that assignment) would be particularly critical.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

myacapsin
Community Member

For example-

I have 01 and 02 courses, same class-some messages could be the same for both courses.  The way it is set up now I can only message students in one course at a time when the message would apply to students in both courses.

Can something like "message students in XXX 01 and XXX 02" be added?

THANKS

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.