"Not For Grading" to allow for submissions

0 Likes

I was excited when I saw a not for grading option in canvas as I had been having students do weekly check-ins and putting them in as 0 points. However this clutters up my gradebook A LOT. The problem is though, not for grading does NOT allow students to make submissions on the assignment. Which, for me, was useless. I can mark "doesn't count towards final grade" but that still puts the assignment in my gradebook and clutters it. It also forces me to grade or add points to what should just be check-ins or even practice and feedback loops.

I am suggesting that the option "not for grading" should still allow for submissions from students that teachers can comment on but not have to assign a grade to. This is more in line as well with grading practices that many are moving towards which emphasizes feedback and practice before showing of mastery on final assessments.

3 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@melayna_moore ‌

Thanks for sharing this idea. With respect to:

The problem is though, not for grading does NOT allow students to make submissions on the assignment.

Assignments with the "Do not count this assignment toward final grade" checkbox still allow students to make submissions on the assignment as long as the instructor has provided a submission option in the settings of the assignment.

With that in mind, how would you like to revise this idea?

melayna_moore
Community Participant

Yes, but that still then clutters my gradebook with assignments that don't need to be there. I also then have to unnecessarily click complete or type in zeros for an assignment that should just be about feedback to the students.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@melayna_moore ‌

Since the focus is now on the Gradebook, would you please add a comment under https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1775-filter-gradebook-by-column (requesting the ability to filter so that assignments that are marked "do not count" do not display)? We'll mark this idea for archival to remove the duplication and keep the conversation unified in one spot.

Thanks, Melayna. Stay safe, and stay well. Smiley Happy