"Rubrics" as a menu option in Course Navigation

For courses that use multiple rubrics, it would be nice to have a menu item "Rubrics" to allow instructors and students to look them up quickly. Other threads talk about how cumbersome the search function is for adding rubrics to assignments; it's even worse when you just want to pull up a rubric to refer to it/show students what the criteria are that will be used to evaluate something. I would welcome a "Rubrics" option in the menu to quickly pull up a list of all the rubrics associated with a given course.

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For details, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2020-04-18)

11 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thank you for sharing this idea,  @kingsburybrunet ‌. You might also be interested in this related idea currently open for voting that is aimed at improving the search for rubrics: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/8535-finding-rubrics 

kingsburybrunet
Community Explorer

Thanks, Stefanie - yes, I saw that one (it's one of the ones I refer to when I mention "other threads"). It's similar to what I would like to see, but maybe not exactly the same thing: I'd like an option that students can easily access as well as instructors, and one that targets only the rubrics already in the course.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Comments from Instructure

This feature is now on Canvas Beta. For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-18579-canvas-release-notes-2020-04-18 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2020-04-18) 

@kingsburybrunet  Thank You for sharing this idea. Your investment helped refine a feature that is now part of Canvas!

dtod
Community Contributor

Apparently, Canvas doesn't understand the concept of "Option". Why would you default this on?

dtod
Community Contributor

Also, it's NOT configured so show the "Hidden" icon, even though students can't see it.

aseiders
Community Novice

Hi,

I am also looking for students to be able to view the "Rubrics" tab in their navigation. In my research, I believe the update mentioned above is specifically to put Rubrics in the teachers navigation tab. I have multiple rubrics for my classes and I would like students to be able to quickly reference them without needing to go to an assignment. If anyone has more insight, I would greatly appreciate it.

james_whalley
Community Coach
Community Coach

Why is there even the option to "enable" Rubrics in the Course Navigation menu if it can't be seen by students? I mean, even when it is disabled, instructors can still access it.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed