[Assignments] "Self Assessment"

Please consider providing the option to assign a student to "peer assess" their own submission.

Added to Theme

10 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

@dhelms802 

Thanks for sharing this idea! As it moves forward for broader discussion, you might also want to add a comment to this long-standing related conversation:  Create a student-accessible rubric for self-assess...

elisat
Community Participant

Yes, please! This would be really a great feature.

JessePasca
Community Member

I'll be running an ungrading classroom where the students identify where they are based on feedback on each assignment and through the learning outcomes posted for the class and assignments. There are work arounds to be sure, but none of them good. Please at least allow students to be assigned to peer review their own work. It seems a simple fix and one without much downside! Perhaps even a toggle in master settings to disable or enable it!

nelson_hannah
Community Explorer

Yes please! Self-assessment is an important educational tool for many of us - would be great to be able to implement this inside of Canvas.

bmessinger
Community Member

This would be incredibly helpful in my upper school personal finance course.  It would be especially helpful if students could use a rubric I made AND allow me to set that rubric to populate outcomes.  I use a grading structure in my course where students grade their own work and this would be infinitely helpful for this - both pedagogically and operationally.  

DanielleL-F
Community Member

Yes please, I am investigating self-assessment to close the feedback loop on recorded, live interactive oral assessments. This feature in Canvas is a must!

VickiHanes
Community Member

I believe a self-assessment option is going to be a bigger deal now that the "ungrading" movement is gaining momentum. Students need the ability to look at their feedback and then justify their grade. Having them assess along the way is an important step. I would utilize this feature right away. 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme