"Set a Default Grade For Students Who..."

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

I would like to add an option to the "Set Default Grade" feature to differentiate between those that have submitted an assignment vs. those that have not submitted the assignment. Similar to how I can "Message Students Who...", I would like to add the option to "Set a Default Grade For Students Who..."

My choices might be:

• "Haven't Submitted Yet"
  • "Have Submitted"
  • "All Students"
  • "Haven't Been Graded Yet"

As it stands, I typically use the "Set Default Grade" function for 0's, but what that means is that I have to grade all the submissions before I can apply the 0to the students that have not completed the assignment. I would like to be able to more efficiently apply the 0's to spur action from the students that have not submitted the assignment.

23 Comments
thompsli
Community Champion

So...I take it those designs didn't work out, seeing as it's over 2 years later?

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

That is correct.  Sorry, sometimes things aren't as easy as we hope they are.

anyan
Community Novice

We are badly in need of this feature. We have one person grading 5,000 students weekly. It seems crazy that this is not a feature. How can we help make this happen?!?!?!?

mnikiema
Community Novice

The amount of time we spend on the grades in canvas is unreal.  This feature would be tremendously helpful to us and I hope it will be seriously considered.  

mrharrel
Community Novice

Is this feature still in process? If not, please reconsider it as a priority. It's a feature our instructional team is still greatly in need of ...

JBeyer
Community Participant

I agree. This would make life much easier for large courses - the amount of time this would save is staggering. 

lbach
Community Participant

I'll add another voice to the mix on this one. I have assignments for an anatomy lab that I've built in New Quizzes that I'd prefer to grade as all-or-none. If the student submits the assignment, even if they get some questions wrong, I want Canvas to award full points. Changing the quiz setting to "complete/incomplete" isn't a viable workaround, as any submissions that are complete but contain incorrect answers are just marked as "ungraded" in the gradebook, so we'd still need to go in and award credit.

So far, the only way I can see to do this is to set a default grade, overwrite all scores with full points, and then go back in and replace the scores for students who didn't submit with zeroes. It's not great and just makes more work for me and the other instructors. Giving an option to set an all-or-none score for those students who submitted on time would be huge.

BenjaminBrown96
Community Novice

I would like to see Canvas add a feature in the gradebook that allows for teachers to give students a specific grade/point value based on where they are at in having submitted the assignment. Currently, the Canvas gradebook only allows for teachers to give all students a "default grade," but does not differentiate whether a student has submitted an assignment or not. Canvas Quizziz works okay for this same purpose, but I would like to see this featured broadened. 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: On Beta
  Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2022-04-16) 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed
Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2022-04-16)