"Student view" but before publishing a quiz/assignment

0 Likes
(6)

I cannot see how a quiz will appear and function to students without publishing the quiz - this prevents me from seeing if there is an issue with the quiz before students have access - for example, if there is an obvious error in the grading, or in my case, I am trying to confirm that they cannot in fact see the answers between quiz attempts (as in professor mode, Preview shows me the answers and then allows me to take it again)

I am very frustrated with Canvas overall - lots of functionality but completely unintuitive interface, content not getting published even though it appears to since there was some secret other folder that needed to also be published, 90% chance that when I post anything on Canvas I get frantic emails from students that something is wrong. It should be seamless and foolproof.

I say this as a tech savvy millennial who lives on the internet. 

Another good example of this, in submitting this "idea", Canvas took me to a page to make a new account, thereby deleting this whole "idea" text. Great example of inefficiencies in design.

9 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

cholling
Community Champion

@koolio812  this is a great idea and would be very helpful. I have run into this situation many times where we needed to check a test but were unable to do so without giving students access. Thanks for posting this.

Steven_S
Community Champion

I agree that we should be able to take a quiz exactly the way students do, either to check the settings or as a way to accurately describe to students what to expect.  Preview mode is not enough for the settings you mentioned and also for lockdown browser: Student-View-Mode-takes-New-Quizzes-as-a-test-student

ksalma
Community Explorer

I wish there was a way to preview assignments without publishing them. Whenever I "preview as a student" its says I don't have access. I want to see how things look or how information will be collected before I publish to students.

Undeceiver
Community Member

I'd just like to add a +1 to this. It seems like a very obvious ability. I do understand the value of being able to check whether something is or isn't accessible to students, but we also sometimes need to be able to check something before publishing it.

I think the best solution would be to add a toggle to the student preview saying "see/not see unpublished materials", so that we can check things before publishing, but also make sure that everything that needs published is published.

ellisonl15
Community Participant

Yes, giving us the ability to view pages, assignments, quizzes, etc. as a student before publishing is a no-brainer. 

hesspe
Community Champion

While there are times I would very much like to be able to use Student View to preview an unpublished item, one of the things our faculty rely on Student View for is to confirm that a quiz or assignment either is, or is not, viewable by students.  It would be very bad if this were changed as default behavior because it would undermine an important expectation that people have about how things work.  What would work nicely is if there were a pulldown arrow on the student view button that allowed the viewer to select "View unpublished items".

MikelisBickis
Community Member

This is a no-brainer.   I just joined this discussion to see how to implement the feature, only to realize that it's not a feature at all.

I am using Canvas for the first time, and was hopeful that it would be an improvement over Blackboard -- but it seems that we can't experiment without students being able to watch our experiments.   We have to just trust that the technology works just exactly we understand it does, and that we have implemented it correctly with no feedback (except from confused or frustrated students.)  How often does that happen?

Is this something that is going fixed by someone?

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.