[Syllabus] "Submission Status" column on main course view.

When looking at the course outline:

185896_pastedImage_0.png185896_pastedImage_0.png

It would be nice if you could include a status column showing if you have submitted an assignment. And when it has been submitted a check mark followed by something like "Submitted June 1st, followed by your score: 9\10, submitted ungraded, or overdue. This would decrease the need to switch over to the Grades page, and make it more obvious when you have work left to turn in for that specific week.

19 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

shschnepf
Community Novice

When a student looks at the module page it does not show whether the assignment has been submitted, graded or commented on by the teacher. I would love this feature, so I can tell what I have done quickly rather than having to look through all the assignments. 

abonacci
Community Member

Please provide a visual cue that an assignment has been turned in, such as the Google Classroom "turned in" status. Now, a student must go to Grades and click on an assignment to see that they've turned it in. However, it would be more helpful to have an easy visual cue next to each assignment on the list of Past Assignments, and even Upcoming Assignments, that shows the student they have turned it in without having to wait until it has been graded.

Gregory_Odell
Community Participant

We would like to see a status added (in addition to Late, Missing and Excused) of 'Submitted' as our parents and students are having a difficult time discerning what has been submitted vs missing vs late.  When looking from the student or observer perspective the status column is almost useless to a student/parent who has no missing, late or excused assignments.  A simple addition of 'Submitted' would go along way to help our parents/students know what they've submitted. 

jalrikabi
Community Member

As it currently stands, in order to check if an assignment was properly submitted by my daughters, we have to open every single assignment, for every single class, every single day. It often happens that they simply forgot to hit Submit.  

It would be wonderful if there were an icon within each Module assignment list to indicate that an assignment has been summited. It should be the same green circle with the white check that they see within the assignment upon successful submission, but placed directly next to the date and point value of an assignment in the list view. Ideally, there would always be that icon in grey, that turns green upon submission. I understand that there are some assignments that are submitted via an external tool, so for those particular assignments it could have a line through or just be absent all together, just like other assignments that don't have due dates or point values. 

This simple icon could make a big difference in students ability to successfully keep up with their work. I know that unsubmitted work shows up in the To-Do list. One, they should have to navigate to a completely different section in order to view if they've missed something. Two, the To-Do section is only available on the iPad. The Chromebook version terribly unfriendly and hard to view. My kids ignore it because it feels messy and overwhelming. 

My hope is that something like this can be adjusted before this school year is up. These kids are tired and anything to make Canvas more user friendly would be helpful.

Steven_S
Community Champion

Customizable-Checklists-to-Add-to-Modules and a similar idea from students allows-students-to-mark-items-as-done are evidence that turning modules into checklists is not an obvious step during course set-up.  Why not add an option to turn the entire modules page into a checklist?  Selecting that option could pop-up a set of default options:

• discussions - always default to contribute to page
  • practice quizzes - choose between submit and score __%
  • graded quizzes and assignments - always default to submit
  • pages - choose between view and mark complete

Defaults set on the modules page should be over-ridden by requirements set within any individual module.

Settings across the entire modules page would not need to be requirements for completing a module, and so the checklist could be functional for optional activities.  However, the default when "all of these" is selected could be automatically filled with the checklist for quick set up (then optional activities delete from the list).  This would allow students to skip past optional activities, but retain a checkmark as a reminder for them to return.

Incorporating a grade record would be especially helpful, since some students continue to only use the grades page.  If it is not there, they do not attempt it without a module requirement.  Then there is a big learning curve to get students to use the module requirements.  Putting grades info on the same page would allow instructors to turn off the grades tab, but still give students access to feedback.  It would be even better if the grades info on the modules tab was highlighted differently before students read the feedback.

ElizabethB2
Community Member

With eight classes, and lengthy assignment lists from all of them, it would be really helpful to have the submit date/status on the assignment dashboard so that students can see at a glance what is outstanding.  Right now you have to click a link on each assignment to see whether it's been submitted, which is odd because you can see things like due date and grade on the dashboard.  It should also show your submission status in the same location.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme