"To-Do" in Student App vs. Desktop

0 Likes

Student App To-Do : Show only Assignments or everything with a To-Do date?

The Guides describe the App To-Do list in terms of Assignments, and the screenshots show things students need to do for which they will earn a grade... but I haven't found anything that states that the App To-Do shows only graded items.

I cheered when the Desktop App was improved a few years ago to allow instructors to add ungraded activities to their students' to-do list. (Awesome feature!) Those activities seem not to show on the Student App.

But without a list of what is supposed to show in the App To-Do, I'm not sure whether I have an idea - which is that the To-Do lists should match - or if perhaps the lists are already supposed to match... in which case I don't have an idea to contribute, just a glitch to figure out.

If the "to-do" list in the Student App does not display items consistently with the Desktop App, instructors and students need to know this. 

Thanks for helping me figure out whether I've got an idea to share (or just a lot of students with phone app issues).

--JoLee

6 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @passerinij - After some testing myself, I can confirm there are some differences between the desktop to-do list and what's displayed for Canvas Student. While I was able to get Not Graded, No Submission, and "Does Not Count Towards Final Grade" to appear on the student to-do list, I was not able to see Pages I created and added dates to. Very interesting! I teach at a 1:1 iPad school, and I'm glad I looked at this question in detail. 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

passerinij
Community Participant
Author

Thank you so much for looking at that.

I just enrolled in the "It's Due!" course, and I'm looking forward to exploring the mobile app from the student side of things. Awesome idea for a course!!

--JoLee

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.