"Update Score and Next" button for SpeedGrader

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas
  Idea will be open for vote May 5th, 2015 - August 5th, 2015  Learn more about voting...

I'd like to see an "Update Score and Next" button in Speedgrader where the current student's scores would be recorded and with one click, the screen would advance to the top of the next student's submission.  Currently this process requires three motions instead of one: (1) "Update Score", (2) Click arrow next to student's name to advance to next student, (3) Speedgrader defaults to the same position from the previous screen (typically the bottom) so there is a need to scroll to the top of the screen to start grading again.  One click to cover this process would be a most welcome option.

Thanks for your consideration.

22 Comments
Beth_Young
Community Contributor

I like the "update score and next" idea, but moving us to the top of the next student's submission would make it much more difficult for those of us grading by question. Perhaps there's a way around that problem.

hoovenl
Community Novice

I would also like to see speedgrader become more ergonomic. Perhaps two buttons, one that says "update score" and another that says "update score and next" would cover the situation you mention, Beth. I would also like buttons after the comment box -- "post" and "post and next". It would be nice to be able to use previous comments in the comment box, as you can within rubrics. Overall, I would like to see clicking, mousing, and typing minimized as much as possible, but not so much that it is easy to click on the wrong thing.

pcollins
Community Novice

Here was my suggestion (which I have deleted). "Score and next" sounds GREAT.  It is definitely poor ergonomics when one is entering scores in the upper right hand corner of the web page and needs to move the mouse all the way over to the left hand side of the web page to shift to the next student (especially when one is grading dozens of assignments in a row). Allowing one to "tab" from the score to the "next" arrow would be nice, especially since the left and right arrows are not overly large...  This can help add speed to speedgrader.

mevett
Community Novice

If you are grading each question, you don't want to pop to the top of each student's quiz as you would then have to scroll back down to the question you are currently grading.  On the other hand, it should be easier to get to the "Update scores" button at the bottom of the page.  It would be great it that button could also appear directly adjacent to every question when grading.

Ron_Bowman
Community Champion

pagebd​ I was going to post this idea and I am glad that you have.  For the Canvas people(if they read this), it would be nice if the students name would also appear in the grading area.  For certain circumstances, I have been able to use speed grader and liked it - other than the the lack of the functionality mentioned in this idea and that the student name is not in the grading area (mainly for the cases when I have a student that has missed handing in an assignment) . 

Unfortunately, most of my graded work is not conducive to using speed grader - yet.  I may be trying to rethink my methodology so that I can use speed grader.

Ron

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Ronald:

In SpeedGrader, each students name is displayed in the upper left corner, in a drop-down list that allows you to select each student individually. This feature can be turned off in a course setting that permits anonymous grading, and that may be what is happening in your courses.

Play with SpeedGrader more, it is a teachers best friend, and one of my favorite features in Canvas.

I hope this helps,

Kelley

Ron_Bowman
Community Champion

@kmeeusen ​

Your response almost had me making an appointment to see my doctor (obviously something must be wrong with me if you were correct).  As it turns out it is English on my part.  What I meant by "students name would also appear in the grading area" is that the name of the student appear at the top of the area on the right where the grades and comments are entered.  With Engineering classes, I have most work turned in on paper, so I typically just use the grade book for grade entry, but I have used speed grader.  In those instances, I want to make sure that the student I am entering the grade for is the one currently up on Speed grader.  Since all I am entering is the grade my attention is focused on the upper right of speed grader and it is a very minor hassle to look to the left and back to the right.

Ron

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Ronald:

I know what you mean. This is just like email or chat or blogs, and I often feel like an ESL student when I re-read my own postings.

Sorry for the confusion.

lbenaloh
Community Novice

For me, "SpeedGrader" is mis-named.  I most often have students upload a picture of their math work.  As Paul mentioned, moving across the screen for each click is annoying: I look at the work, give a score on the right side of the screen, then move to the left side to go to the next student, then shift back to the right to enter the score.  Using the CTRL-K shortcut helps some, but I find SpeedGrader very slow.  Having an "update score and next" button would be fantastic!  What would be even faster for me, is to have all the students' names in the space on the right, with space for the grade and a button if I want to add a comment.  I envision clicking into the space for the grade, the student's work showing up on the left (as it currently does), I enter the score into the box on the right then click on the grade box for the next student.  For me, that would be much speedier.  But I'll take the "update score and next" button.

melissa_ringfie
Community Member

I agree with the need for a more user-friendly set up. I've argued that the Next Student button should be moved next to the Update Grade button, but combining is even better!