rename Quizzes to Assessments

0 Likes
(5)

Rename Quizzes. Call it Assessments so that it can cover quizzes, tests, final exams, etc.

7 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

dlgray1
Community Member

Yes please!  Quizzes is confusing when using an LMS pack that contains external sourced quizzes that have to be completed in Assignments rather than Quizzes.  Also concerned about distinguishing between quizzes and exams.  Seems Quizzes is the best place to administer exams.

Estefania
Community Explorer

I completely disagree! Calling an activity an assessment heavily implies that it is part of how the course will be graded. Of course Quizzes are very handy for tests and exams, but for some of us they are also essential to provide students with practice opportunities and formative feedback. What we should have is the option to set a quiz as a graded element of assessment or as a practice activity, as is the case with the Classic Quizzes and should be available in the New Quizzes too. I posted an idea conversation on this just yesterday: 

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Idea-Conversations/New-Quizzes-Practice-quizzes/idi-p/398053

At the end of the day, it may be a matter of semantics: current "assignments" should be called "assessment" to denote graded activities, and quizzes could then be all kinds of "assignments" to mean just that, pieces of work that are assigned to students to complete (which could become elements of "assessment" and appear on the students' calendar only if the instructor chooses to when creating them).

beth_may
Community Member

I have a related request.  I want to be able to create assignments that include multiple choice questions as part of the assignment without them being labeled as "quizzes".  I have assignments that include short essays and multiple choice questions, are not timed, and are meant to go along with their course readings.  The students always put them off until 5 minutes before they are due, becuase they associate the word "quiz" with "short multiple choice thingy", not something that requires reading and reflection (even though the title I give each "quiz" is "reading and reflection").

I know I have requested this before.  I'm just adding my request here again!

tbassuncw
Community Member

The word "quiz" sounds minor, like it's worth only a few points. I give exams that make up a substantial part of the course grade. At minimum, instructors should have the option to change the name.

ddibari1
Community Member

As I am sure many of you can relate, the Canvas Quizzes function is used for a lot more than quizzes. It is used for Exams, Surveys, Learning Activities, Homeworks, and so much more. Therefore, I think it would be appropriate to rename the function from "Quizzes" to something more general, like "Assessments," that is more encompassing of the function's actual use.

Additionally, adding more categories (or even allowing instructor customization) to segment these Assessments by would also be very helpful for organizational purposes, both for students and instructors.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Thank you for sharing this idea with the Instructure Community!

The Product Team reviewed all feature proposals recently, and unfortunately, this thread was identified as one that they would not be able to include in their current or future plans. While we appreciate your proposal, we also want to be transparent about the likelihood of something like this making it to production.

Thank you for collaborating, and we hope that you submit another idea in the future!