[Inbox] Schedule a message in inbox

As an instructor, it would be really great if I could write a message to my students in inbox, and schedule it to send at a later time. I love this feature in gmail, and would like to see it here as well. 

35 Comments
cchavarria917
Community Member

I see that this idea was first introduced on September 2020. It is now December 2021 and there are a few responses.

As someone who teaches several classes (online/hybrid/F2F), I need to be able to schedule email messages for different classes to go out at different times.

Could this feature be something that cam be add to Canvas Inbox, please? Without it, I have to wait until certain times of the day to send emails to the entire class.

Thank you,
CMC

luisjopia
Community Member

As a student, I would love this feature too. If ever we wanted to send a message to our instructors during weekends, we can pick a later date (possibly on weekdays) for us to send our message and not forget it. Thank you and I hope this feature would be developed and included very soon!

ALBERTOLINA
Community Novice

A few times teachers work outside business hours.

For the purposes the student cant receive the mail in a suitable hour,

it becames neccesary to programme date and hour of the mail.

Regards

ALBERTOLINA
Community Novice

A few times teachers work outside business hours.

For the purposes the student cant receive the mail in a suitable hour,

it becomes neccesary to programme date and hour of the mail.

Regards

JonathanLeeSFSU
Community Member

I agree. I'm surprised that nothing has been done since your initial post. It is Aug 2022 and there is still no "send later" function in the Indox. This is very useful to instructors. 

Announcements have a "send later" and that is not the solution to this issue. Announcements do not automatically go to email inboxes, and this is a problem. Announcements also do not have a "resend" in case it is something we wish to remind our students off. 

Moodle's email function has "send later" as does most emails. I really hope Canvas will add this to their Indox. It shouldn't be difficult. 

cchavarria917
Community Member

Why is this issue not being discussed by more faculty, staff, students using Canvas... it's been two years and no solution in sight. It's disappointing. 

JonathanLeeSFSU
Community Member

It is a common complaint, but Canvas makes it ridiculously difficult to submit an idea for improvement. You have to do this, instead of sending them an email. I'm sure, if they did it that way, they would have hundreds of thousands of emails asking for this simple function. 

montgomery1
Community Participant
Problem statement:

I would like to be able to preset Canvas Messages to be sent on a particular date, as we can do in announcements. This would allow me to message a single student a reminder that is their turn to do something, like initiate a discussion board, do a presentation, etc.

Proposed solution:

I propose to set up Canvas messages like Canvas Announcements, with the ability to select a future date for the message's release. This would allow me to preset multiple messages to single students or specific groups of students as a reminder that is their week to do something, like initiate a discussion board, do a presentation, etc.

User role(s):

instructor

megan_horikawa
Community Participant

I am for this as well! I avoid canvas inbox, and use email to contact my student because of the lack of this feature. 

JonathanLeeSFSU
Community Member

Canvas Announcements is not the solution to not having a "Send later" function in Canvas Inbox. Canvas Announcements has limited functions as you can only send it once at one time. You can not just click to re-send, or forward. The biggest issue with Canvas Announcements is students have to be logged into Canvas to read them... they do not automatically get notification of the announcements unless they set it up to go to their emails as well.  I teach very large classes and email is used to manage large groups of students. 

Why is it so difficult for Canvas to add a "Send later" feature in Inbox? This should not even be an issue. I'm pretty sure the email platform employees at Canvas are using has a "send later" function.