[Gradebook Settings] set default gradebook view

I would like to be able to set my default gradebook view. For example, I prefer to always use "Module first to last" for each gradebook. In the gradebook settings, I can't set this as my preferred view.

8 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@pcorvino 

Are you inquiring about the ability to set a default view for all of the gradebooks across all of your courses, or only the need for the setting to persist in a particular course's gradebook view? With respect to the latter, my testing indicates that if I set the view to 'Module - First to Last' and navigate away, upon returning to the Gradebook my view preference remains in place.

Thanks!

drowden
Community Explorer

I tend to set my gradebook views the same way in every class. So I find myself every semester, in every class moving the total to the front, unchecking the unpublished assignments, checking the module and section filters, and finally ensuring that assignments are arranged by module from first to last. I would love to have a way to set my default gradebook view once. I have five classes each semester so that equates to 50 clicks per semester just to have the gradebook set to where it makes sense to me. I love the flexibility of views but I wish the user interface wouldn't add that many clicks to my workflow. Am I alone in this? Does this feature already exist?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

Steven_S
Community Champion

It would be nice to be able to set a preferred setting for the features such as displaying total at the beginning of the grade display, and turning on drop down lists for filters.  As an alternative to instructor-by-instructor saved settings it would be good for those settings to be copied with other copied course settings when importing content into the course.

seldredge
Community Member

Sometimes a student will do a retake on a test that was from a previous term, and when I go back to the previous term to change the score and then back to the current term, everything is out of order of how I put it in the gradebook. This drive me nuts! Why can't we be able to choose a default that says "users choice" or "customized" or something like that. It takes F-O-R-E-V-E-R for me to put the gradebook assignments back in the order that I want them in, and time is something that teachers don't have a lot of! Please make it so that the customized order we put things in doesn't change when we go back and forth between terms! I have figured out that I can just go into a specific test in a different term and change the score there, and it won't affect the order of the gradebook, but I shouldn't have to do that. Also, sometimes I want to go back and look at a previous grade, so then I HAVE to go to a different term in the gradebook.

jmfelder
Community Member

I agree!  It needs to be configurable, because the defaults make no sense in my organization scheme.  I spend countless minutes each week moving new assignments to the location I want them to appear because the way I would like to organize them, by due date, does not work.

As an addendum, it makes no sense that assignments with multiply due dates cannot be sorted by due dates.  If there are two due dates, they are usually going to be close together, so choose ONE of the due dates to sort with if there are more than one.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme