toggle unpublished assignments in Syllabus Course Summary view

(3)
Hi,
I would like to request a feature for Canvas.
For the Syllabus  - Course Summary view,
- it would be nice if one could toggle on/off whether it shows 'unpublished' assignments.
I have alot of unpublished assignments - and they are creating too much clutter in this view.
But sometimes, I would want to be able to see them - so having a toggle would be good.
Thanks
Josh

--
Josh T. Beckham, Ph.D.
The University of Texas at Austin
6 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@josh_beckham ‌, the idea as currently written requests changes to two separate features of Canvas: the Syllabus page (specifically, the Course Summary) and the Calendar. Each of these will need to be considered separately. Would you please edit the idea to remove the second one and then create a separate idea submission for it? How do I create a new feature idea in the Canvas Community? provides guidance on writing singularly-focused ideas.

Thanks.

josh_beckham
Community Novice

Stephanie - thanks for your guidance. I revised this Idea and then created a new one addressing the Calendar view.

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/16587-toggle-unpublished-assignments-in-calendar 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks for making the requested edits,  @josh_beckham ‌. Both ideas are now open for voting.

jnauen
Community Novice

Syllabus tool - have course summary tool have an option to only show published assignments.  If an assignment is not published, it should not show up in the course summary.

mmarty
Community Explorer

Given that I can't create my own "Idea Conversations" yet to narrow this down even more, I think this is a solid starting point for revising the Course Summary feature on the Course Syllabus page. What seems like it would be even more beneficial than a hide/show unpublished items would be an option to re-arrange the auto-populated default view with the option to show/hide individual items (possibly by checkbox). I work with instructors who would like to be able to rotate in/out assignments semester-to-semester, and they don't want to have to store these in a Sandbox or rebuild them any time they'd like to pull them into a course in order to keep them from showing up on the Course Summary. 

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.