video player improvements

0 Likes
(1)

I teach astrophysics at Swinburne university The new default embedded video player seems like a step backwards. (Writing this in Jun 2021)

See this screenshot where I showed an old embedded video with a new style one immediately below. https://pasteboard.co/K6PD2K4.png

In the new one there are less options, e.g. no CC and no speed control, and the option to show the video quality options is very confusing and not clear. It is not obvious to the user that those bps numbers allow one to change the video quality. It also seems slower to start and start playing video. It is also not possible to get a large window except by going full screen which is undesirable for many reasons (e.g. when the student is taking notes) (There seems to be no option to use the old player when inserting new videos.)

I would also like to suggest as a new fearture that every player window has a clear and obvious ‘download video’ option. Right now one has to do a Browser workaround.

🔎 This idea has been archived. While this idea isn't open for comments, it is an important part of Instructure’s idea conversations and development process. Contributions like this are valuable as Instructure prioritizes work on new or existing features.

Tags (2)
4 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@KarlG 

Thanks for sharing this feedback. From the screenshot, it appears that the videos were created using two different applications, one of which was Canvas Studio. Did you create this page yourself?

KarlG
Community Novice
I just uploaded the videos, which I recorded myself. The only difference is the uploads were a year apart and so seem to have got different default players.
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @KarlG - I wanted to take the opportunity to return to this conversation. I see that it's been open for quite some time! I'm sorry that you've been waiting for a response about the stage of this idea. 

Would you like to continue investigating this request? Have the updates to Canvas and Studio improved your experience? I look forward to collaborating!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived