Formatting of Arabic and English text in courses and student submissions

GemmaWestwood
Community Member

I have a query from an academic colleague regarding the formatting of Arabic and English text on the same page. Currently, there is no way to format this correctly (other than using the HTML) when both scripts appear on the same page.

Although HTML is an option for more tech-savvy academics this presents a problem for those who are not confident with HTML and for students who wish to submit multi-lingual text responses to assignments (should they not wish to upload a document) or within discussion forums.

Additionally, the embedded immersive reader is not able to switch between Arabic and English when reading aloud. (however, I suspect that this is more of an issue with the way that speech recognition is set up within Windows as you can only run one speech-language pack at a time)

Does any one have any non - HTML suggestions that will support students and academics using multiple different language scripts, specifically those that switch from a left to right reading direction to a right to left reading direction?

Also will Canvas be looking into this any time soon as i am sure that other's working in language departments would find a non HTML based feature for this useful.

0 Likes