Beginning- and End-of-Course Checklists for Instructors

ewasson
Community Explorer

Last Updated: May 19, 2022

Have you ever wished there was a resource you could reference when setting up a Canvas course? Well, good news...now there is one! The Training Services department shared all of their collective experiences working in education and training clients for years to build this collaborative resource that instructors will hopefully find useful referencing when creating their courses in Canvas.         

Potential Uses of the Checklists

• Review the Beginning-of-Course checklist to ensure your course is ready to publish for students

• Reference the End-of-Course checklist to help wrap up your course before the term concludes

• Share with your colleagues so they can also benefit from the checklists

Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 9.03.17 AM.png

Access

The checklist resource is available via Google Docs "Make a Copy" so you can customize for your institution. Please select the following link for access: Beginning- and End-of-Course Checklists Editable Copy

Feel free to leave us comments about this resource or share the practices you use at the beginning and end of a course in Canvas.

The Training Services Department at Instructure is committed to supporting any training needs at your Institution. Reach out to your CSM if you are interested in learning more about this resource, additional resources or any of our training offerings.

7 Comments
stacy_lambert
Community Contributor

That is awesome thank you. We have a small rubric for a minimum standards as well you might be interested in. It's shared in Commons called Canvas Standards Course Analysis - not a beginning and end, but one of those tools we are using to assist our staff with consistency.

Cheers

Stacy

#callaghancollegewallsendcampus‌  @david_summervi1 ‌

Bobby2
Community Champion

Saved this gem! Thank you  @ewasson . How has it been received?

epulham
Community Contributor

@ewasson  Thank you! This is exactly what we were looking for as a guide for our teachers. I have edited the document, and added some items that are specific to our campus. I also re-ordered the items so they are a little more sequential in nature. This is just the first iteration: Sign in - Google Accounts  

dholton
Community Participant

Thanks for sharing this.

Now that the New Gradebook is on by default, I would just suggest minor updates to the "Export Grades" item in your end of course checklist, and hyperlinking to these instructions from the Canvas Instructor Guide:

How do I export grades in the New Gradebook? 

LisaLoConte-All
Community Member

Thank you so much, this looks great. 

Community Member

What a great resource for teachers!

PaulAlaniz
Community Member

Great checklist to kick off a new year.