Can mastery paths be copied or exported?

Jump to solution
eric_orton
Community Contributor

I have set up a competency-based course using mastery paths. I have need to export this course, or make it available through Commons, to give it to others who want to use it on their own Canvas instances. Also, I need to be able to copy the course within my own Canvas instance. However, any copying of the course, whether a course copy from within my own instance, an export/import, or through Commons, strips out the mastery paths. Setting them up all over again after any copying of the course is untenable. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a solution?

1 Solution
eric_orton
Community Contributor

So, I found part of the problem. By default, in a blank course, mastery paths were turned off. If I turn them on before doing the import or copy, the mastery paths come over mostly correctly. Mostly, because on content pages, even though the checkbox for "Allow in mastery paths" comes through checked, it behaves as though it is not. Students are able to see and access pages that should not be available until they've taken the pretest. Editing the page -- actually just clicking Edit, doing nothing, and then clicking Save (since, as I mentioned, the mastery path checkbox is already checked) -- fixes the problem, but this must be done for each page and can be rather time consuming.

View solution in original post