cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer

Can we customize the look of audio files recorded in the RCE?

Jump to solution

Does anyone know if it's possible to customize the player image that is automatically created when recording audio files in the RCE? 

RCE Audio File

A foreign language instructor is creating audio quiz questions and some questions contain more than one audio file. She would like to customize the look of the audio files. An example is to label them "Conversation 1", "Conversation 2", etc.

We have access to other audio software, but the RCE is such a quick/easy way to record the audio. We're hoping that there's also a quick/easy way to change the audio player image!

13 Replies
Highlighted

Hi dejonghed07@macomb.edu

I know that the RCE use in Canvas is from TinyMCE, below is a link to their website. I don't have the time to search today, but perhaps you will find your answer there.

https://www.tinymce.com/

I hope this helps,

Kelley

Highlighted

Thanks for your response awilliams‌! A coding solution is worth a try, but it's not ideal for instructors.

My next question is: Does anyone know how to use the Poster image field when selecting Alt-F9 (on a PC) in the RCE, then going to Insert (on the menu)>Media>Advanced? Steps are below...

1. Alt-F9 on a PC brings up this hidden menu:

Alt-f-9

2. Selecting Insert Media and the Advanced Tab provides a Poster field:

Insert-Edit-Media

I've never been able to figure out how to use the Poster field for media.

Highlighted
Community Member

Hey dejonghed07@macomb.edu‌,

Unfortunately at this time there isn't a way to do much with those thumbnails although a related idea has made it onto the Product team's radar for future prioritization (https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/3375-unfortunate-audio-icon-needs-replacing ) and there was somewhat of a workaround (albeit a technical one and maybe not what you're ultimately after) at Canvas audio link size. You can also check out the "Related Content" and "Incoming Links" section down at the bottom of those resources for even more about this in the community.

In the meantime, you could add some text around the object to help identify it.