Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

CanvasHacks Classroom

Jump to solution

8/15/2018 Update:  To sign up as a student, use this link:

This course has enabled open enrollment. Students can self-enroll in the course once you share with them this URL:https://resources.instructure.com/enroll/8R9H7B. Alternatively, they can sign up at https://resources.instructure.com/register and use the following join code: 8R9H7B

chofer@morainepark.edu, G.Petruzella@mcla.edu stefaniesanders, awebster

Hi folks, it looks like Scott the Magnificent has already created us a CanvasHacks public classroom to play in, and enrolled us as teachers.

Any thoughts on structure? I have a similar course that is mostly complete that I am preparing for my faculty that I could upload to provide a bit of structure. It is intended for non-coders, and has the following module structure:

• About HTML and the HTML Editor - DO NOT FEAR THE CODE!
  • Beginning Users
  • Intermediate users
  • Advanced users
  • Sharing (sharing has a discussion and links to external resoursces

However, I am not a pushy sort, so whatever anybody else wants, I am more than happy to go along with. I can always upload stuff a piece at a time and fit it where I can.

My "lessons" are all one page, and include:

• A brief description
  • The code snippet
  • Anatomy of the code snippet where I identify those components that are easy to modify by novices like myself
  • Instructions for use
  • Troubleshooting, and
  • Sometimes some obvious variations based on changes to parts of the code (colors, sizes, positions etc. - the minor stuff)

Let me know what your think!

Oh yah, and I also have a hokey Home page, because that's just the kind of guy I am:)

1,001 Replies
Highlighted

Thanks Kelley for the information! I've been integrating the more advanced elements into a course I'm currently converting to Canvas (e.g. pop-up dialog boxes but also integrating the element toggler from the Canvas Style Guide, carousel, practice problems, etc.) and I will be having a "brown bag demo" this Friday, so I'm just prepping to give access to any designers who may want access. I'm not expecting a big turnout as we haven't advertised this much, just something small to get started, but there is definitely a lot of great stuff in here.

The workshop sounds awesome. Where do you offer the in-person workshop at? This seems like something that would be great to offer at Penn State; maybe we could set up a virtual meeting and I could learn the ways of the force!

Highlighted

Zachary:

I believe there is a version of this course on the Canvas Commons. May not be as up to date, but I will fix that today.

Also, I offer this several times a year as a two-hour, in-person, hands-on workshop that is incredibly popular. I display some hack modified example pages, walk the faculty through some simple hacks from a short style guide document I include in the first module of the CanvasHacks classroom, then show them the real magic that answers all of their question about all the work of rebuilding their courses by providing them with the HTML script from a busy Canvas page of text, then walk them through quickly enhancing that existing page with the same simple hacks we already worked on. All along, I am giving tips on how to keep track of where they are and what they are doing when in the HTML Editor.

I have delivered this at other colleges and conferences by providing them the link to a public version of the course that they are then able to access as a resource as long as we are still using Canvas.

I hope this helps,

KLM

Highlighted

For fellow PSU Smiley Happy, zal5010@psu.edu I've changed your role to a teacher.

Highlighted
Community Member

Hi, I'm enrolled in the CanvasHacks course as a student. Could I be added as a teacher? I am advocating for this course at my institution, Penn State, and figured it would be easier if I could add designers to the course instead of having them request access themselves. My email is zal5010@psu.edu. Thanks!

Highlighted
Community Member

Hi!
I would love to be added a teacher: martinezre@umsl.edu 
Thanks!
Ray

Highlighted
Highlighted
Community Member

please add me as a student.

Highlighted

Thanks much!!!