cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Color Overlay - off by default?

I'm beginning to think that the color overlay on the Dashboard should be off by default.  From a clearly design perspective it mostly detracts from courses that have an image. What's your opinion?  coloroverlay 

#dashboard

Tags (2)
23 Replies
Highlighted
Surveyor

Yep, that would be my preference as well. Drives me crazy!

Highlighted
Community Member

And it was a long drawn-out process to even get them to add the option to turn it off; originally you couldn't even turn it off!

I make it a point to tell students about this in my "tech tip" about customizing the Dashboard.

Online Course Wiki / Canvas Dashboard 

(the feature they seem to like best is choosing their own nickname for courses, which really is good at my school because the course naming conventions in the official listing are really unhelpful)

There's a cool feature request that would let students choose their own coursecard images by the way!

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/10557 

Highlighted
Community Member

Yes, I agree 100%. It should be an off or on button.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

I totally agree. I have thought this since the beginning. The color overlay will only look right with certain images and colors, so having it on by default makes no sense.

Highlighted
Community Member

This makes a lot of sense.  Many, if not most of our teachers are using images on their course cards now and the color overlay just makes it look odd.   

Highlighted
Community Member

Highlighted
Community Member

A big thumbs up from me, would definitely prefer it to be off by default.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Could it be off by default when an image is present. Otherwise on? 

Also - I believe colours are per user settings, so one course may appear with multiple colours, no? If that's the case, perhaps when an image exists the overlay is replaced with a border on the image. This way the colour swathes in the calendar would be retained. 

Highlighted
Community Member

when color overlay is off the courses without an image will still display a variety of colors.