cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Color Overlay - off by default?

I'm beginning to think that the color overlay on the Dashboard should be off by default.  From a clearly design perspective it mostly detracts from courses that have an image. What's your opinion?  coloroverlay 

#dashboard

Tags (2)
23 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

The default should be colour overlay off

Highlighted
Learner II

Yes, colour overlay should be off when there is an course image.

If the developers feel that the course color is an important feature for user dashboard customisation, then a coloured top border will be sufficient.

Highlighted
Community Member

Dear users, the version of this open issue with the most votes is, I believe, this one: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/8611-new-color-overlay-feature-should-have-a-way-to-change-def... . Please consider voting and commenting there, so that hopefully we can get this change made. Thanks. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

If the Canvas designers want the color overlay on, so that any user will see differently colored cards for his or her courses, then that might be a way to differentiate the cards for any Canvas user interface. If so, then turning random overlay off as the default might have a counterargument. However, if an admin/teacher uploads an *image* for his or her card, then, automatically, Canvas should turn the overlay off (or give the admin/teacher a way to do it for *all users of that course*). I made the image for my film class a shot from a film that is famous for its use of green. The image is brown, pink, red, etc., on my students' computers. 

Highlighted

when color overlay is off the courses without an image will still display a variety of colors. 

Highlighted
Community Member

Could it be off by default when an image is present. Otherwise on? 

Also - I believe colours are per user settings, so one course may appear with multiple colours, no? If that's the case, perhaps when an image exists the overlay is replaced with a border on the image. This way the colour swathes in the calendar would be retained. 

Highlighted
Learner II

A big thumbs up from me, would definitely prefer it to be off by default.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Highlighted
Community Member

This makes a lot of sense.  Many, if not most of our teachers are using images on their course cards now and the color overlay just makes it look odd.   

Highlighted
Community Member

I totally agree. I have thought this since the beginning. The color overlay will only look right with certain images and colors, so having it on by default makes no sense.