cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Disappearing Graphics

I have jpg images which display just fine, then for no apparent reason they disappear, only showing the file name.  Is this a bug? Am I doing something wrong?

279413_pastedImage_1.png

143 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

Hi Michael,

You are not doing anything wrong. This has been an ongoing issue for the better part of 8 months. I think I first noticed it in December 2017, others noted it happened before then from memory.
there is a much more complete discussion with links to numerous other cases reporting the same issue that can be found: https://community.canvaslms.com/thread/20989-why-are-my-jpeg-images-disappearing 

For me currently, I notice the images disappearing some days however after navigating around canvas, doing some work, and not touching them, eventually, they pop back up. 
Clearing cache/cookies doesn't fix anything, it happens across multiple computers/browsers. 

Does anyone else find that images re-appear of their own accord after a few hours?

Highlighted
Surveyor

This is a helpful thread.  I found using a different browser helped but we cannot ask students to switch browsers or refresh their pages.  I hope this can be fixed.  

Wendy

Highlighted
Community Member

I have been dealing with this issue for months. I would replace the images (housed inside the course under files) only to have it occur again and again. I had IT look into it; tried various browsers (with the most recent updates), cleared cache repeatedly but that only worked temporary. 

I found that Firefox is the only browser that consistently displays images. However,  this doesn't really solve the issue. Learners will use their preferential browser which means that images may not display properly thereby, reducing the quality of course and possibly damaging the relationship we are building with learners.

Highlighted
Surveyor

FWIW, recently two of our faculty independently reported that their course images don't display properly in their latest version of Safari but the images display fine in other browsers or in PCs. Clearing cache does not solve the problem. One of them is able to fix the issue by going to the Develop Develop menu in the menu bar, disable and then renable images, then refresh the page. (See Use the Safari Develop menu <https://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=link&apdid=sfri20948&viewlocale=en_US&bookId=El%20Capitan%20...>.) If you are seeing problems in Macs, perhaps give this a try?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Our images were housed in one of two spots (nothing externally linked)...depending on the situation:

1. At the course level (in course "Files") in Canvas and then embedded on Canvas pages.
  2. At a user profile's level in Canvas.  I uploaded some images to my personal Canvas account, and then (since I'm an admin) I created a Global Announcement to display on the dashboard.  When embedding am image in a Global Announcement, I always choose from my personal image folder within my Canvas profile.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

So your images were externally linked? The images I am using are housed

within the Canvas course.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

tuk03990@temple.eduysmallsmfreedman3@gmail.com, and tamychapman@scuhs.edu...

We had images that disappeared in our Canvas environment a couple days ago (see my above posting).  For us, this was not an issue on Instructure's end.  I chatted with their tech support people, and they could not replicate the issue on their end.  I ended up chatting with one of our IT people on campus, and he determined that Cisco was tagging some Amazon web servers as malicious.  So, he white-listed those servers, and we are back in business.  I'm not saying this is the case for your schools, but it might be worth checking out.

Highlighted

Yes, this is really a Canvas issue since it doesn't occur with all the other websites we all visit on the same browsers all day everyday. Thanks for trying. I wish Canvas cared more about fixing this.

Highlighted
Community Member

Here is the response from L1 help desk.  Please let me know your experience with any/all of these and I will relay back to L1. 

Update your browser - updating your browser may fix any problems you have with Canvas, please see this guide on which browsers are supported by Canvas

Clear your browser history - Clearing your browser history, cookies and cache helps with accessing web pages which are causing you problems. Please refer to these guides, How to clear cache on PC or How to clear cache on MAC

Open Chrome in Incognito Window - Opening Chrome in Incognito Window will disable any Chrome Extensions/Plugins. This will help us identify if it is a browser related issue. 

Here is how to access an "Incognito Window":
https://screencast.com/t/TXHEVexXPHb

Try using a different PC - If you have access to a another PC or Mac, try viewing the Canvas page there and see if you get similar issues, if you do not get any issues, we can assume it may be an issue with your computer settings.

Check your Internet Connection -  If you are using wireless, try connecting to cable if you can.

Here is my reply:

Please see the thread in the community discussion referenced in the initial ticket.  Since there are so many folks experiencing this problem, I think you can eliminate browser, internet, and pc as sources of the problem.

What's next?

Highlighted
Community Member

I've opened a case for this issue from my account Practical Academics. Case # if you can use it is #

Michel