cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mfreedman3
Community Member

Disappearing Graphics

Jump to solution

I have jpg images which display just fine, then for no apparent reason they disappear, only showing the file name.  Is this a bug? Am I doing something wrong?

279413_pastedImage_1.png

143 Replies

Thank you david_taylor !

I have seen this kind of thing myself, especially as it relates to this disappearing graphics issue. When I am dealing with disappearing graphics in my courses, I usually send a list of previous support ticket/case numbers (mine and others that have been posted in the community) along with support request. It sometimes help to get the ticket moved up the chain a bit faster. I don't know how Canvas might go about making its support techs more aware of the history on this issue, but it would be nice if they could.

Great! Glad to hear it.  I just got a message yesterday afternoon that Instructure support was able to reproduce the issue and was opening a case with engineering.  And then a couple of hours later, some other support person said they were marking the ticket solved because there was a workaround (i.e. re-add the question, or something).  You'd better believe that I re-opened that ticket.  I have no idea why some other support person would come in and close a ticket--presumably without really reading the history or understanding the issue. That's what I've been fighting with.

I was able to replicate this using these steps. Thanks so much for outlining because I couldn't figure out what teachers were doing.

I'll pass it along to our CSM as well.

gordon
Learner II

Running into the same problem when a quiz is passed from one course to another.  The attached images in the quiz need to package and move with the quiz.

Hello david_taylor ,

Thank you for your work in this!

david_taylor
Surveyor

We have been battling this issue at our campus.  I've worked with several faculty members and done some of my own testing.

Here are the definitive steps to recreating this issue as far as I can tell:

1) Create a test bank of several questions, with each containing a graphic file. I was using JPG files that I had uploaded to the course files.

2) Create a quiz and add those questions to it from the test bank.

3) On one or more of the questions, edit and make a change. You can change the point value or some of the text.  It does not matter.

4) Save & Publish the quiz.

5) FROM ANOTHER BROWSER, go into this quiz as a student (either logged in as a student or impersonated) and go to this quiz. 

6) The questions that were EDITED will have their graphics broken like I’ve shown in the attachment to this entry.

The reason for step 5 is that I was seeing issues where a professor had images cached so even if we switched to impersonate a student the images were showing because they were cached in the browser.  I have done these exact steps and re-created the problem.

I've reported these steps to our customer success manager and escalated a ticket.  You might see if  you can replicate this issue and escalate this as well.

k_taylor
Community Member

We've also experienced this issue intermittently on our courses. Sometimes they disappear when we revisit the courses and haven't manually logged in as a user for a while.

My fix: I have have the user log out and then log back in. This  usually refreshes the cache for Canvas and fixes the issue. When this doesn't work I say something like, "Please be patient, there appears to be a server issue going on with Canvas at the moment." 

I'd love Canvas to find the source of the issue in the code and fix it in a future update.

evanp
Surveyor

This happens in Quizzes too, so the stakes are high. And it's not consistent. One student will see all images, some will see about half, some will see none.  It's a big problem. 

Molly, 

I just encountered a similar issue. I usually use Chrome and an image is broken in Chrome but fine in Firefox. Both browsers are up to date.

cpierce1
Community Member

I also had this issue on Thursday and Friday.  My images were part of a quiz and appeared only as their file names, all .jpgs.  The students could guess the answers based on the names of the files.  The students did not tell me this until my last class on Friday.