cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Learner II

Do you prefer question groups or question banks?

So at CanvasCon in Florida yesterday, the question about groups vs. banks came up.  Here are my thoughts on them:

Right now, I prefer groups over banks for 2 reasons. 1, you can edit a question in a live quiz with groups and regrade automatically.  You have to go through speed grader to fix bad questions from banks, and in larger classes, this can be a hassle!  2. Aligning outcomes with banks isn't fully functional yet.  Hopefully one day it will be, and soon, but with out this functioning properly, banks seem to be of no use to me!

So what are YOUR preferences and why?  Thanks!

Tags (2)
21 Replies
Highlighted

Thank you for your reply! I understandnowthe difference between question groups (will randomize want it or not) and just accepting the selected questions from the Test Bank. You are correct; both are needed.

My favorite feature of Test Banks it the ability to copy a question to a question bank -- I use unfiled -- and copy it back in multiple times. So frequently are parts of a quiz question repeated and by the copy out and paste in, I need only to edit specific terms.

Canvas is great only because people like you keep information flowing

Pam

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi Pam,

Sorry that nobody has replied to your questions... I can't answer the second one, I've only had success at manually adding questions, the import/export integration has always seemed cludgy. As for the first question, Question Groups are indeed attached to individual quizzes but when you "roll forward" a course from the current term to the next term you have the option of including the Groups; this has the advantage of allowing you to continue to edit and perfect the questions and answers. As for keeping a "master" document in Word... I did this for a while but found it too tedious -- it essentially doubles your work whenever you make a modification to a question. Instead, I've found that using Ctrl+F in the Group helps to find questions quickly, I typically pick a unique word from the question to search and then quickly go to through the results until I find the right one. Even when the list is long, this is relatively quick and beats a visual search by a long shot. I hope this helps!

John

0 Kudos
Highlighted

John, thank your for clarifying the metalanguage of canvas.  Stefanie also gives fully developed answers.  All of you give a very new user confidence and answers!   Beth Young's method to create unique tests was also helpful

Still one question:   If more than one group is created in a specific quiz does the quiz choose and randomize from all the groups?   If a specific quiz is the storage area for groups, what is the best way to organize for access later.  Quiz Banks are easy to access, but should I keep a table in a  Word document that will tell me what groups are in which quiz and what content is in each group. 

Actually two:  We have access to Exam View's test questions for our textbooks.  I have directions from ExamView telling me how to export into Canvas.  Now I need the Canvas end of that process.  Can someone steer me to these helpful threads?

Thank you all!

Pam

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Thanks jkocher@ufl.edu​ -

Wanted to double check before pursuing any further! Thanks!

Highlighted

That is the original post from April 4 (though I see it's been recently updated).  This was how I linked the outcomes and it wasn't working as intended.  Haven't really played with this much, though, after outcomes got a makeover!

Highlighted
Learner II

Hi James Kocher , I noticed in the guides, How do I align an Outcome with a Question Bank? and was wondering if this is a new update and if aligning outcomes with banks is working now? Thanks,

Dale

Highlighted
Learner II

Moved this to the Instructional Designer group, as I asked it while we were still in beta and there weren't groups yet!  Plus, it's not something that can be answered.  Thanks for all the input!  Keep the discussion going!

Highlighted

@John, This is a great resource!  Thank you for this very helpful diagram.  I've been struggling to understand these relationships and this has been most helpful!

Highlighted

Thanks john.morris@bus.oregonstate.edu​! This has been excellent thread on the differences between questions groups and question banks and one that will help me to clearly explain the differences to our faculty!

Highlighted

john.morris@bus.oregonstate.edu​, thank you for taking the time to synthesize the process and share it in the form of clear visuals and explanatory text. Your work will be a valuable resource for present and future Canvassarians. Smiley Happy