cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ltb103
Community Member

Extra Credit (Using Weighted Grading)

Jump to solution

How do you calculate extra credit in a weighted grade format?

1.)  Example 1:  Add an extra credit grading "group" and give that group a percent of what it is worth.   Sample:  There are several groups in the gradebook Participation - 20, Discussion - 30, Exams - 50.  Your students can earn extra credit completing an additional assignment.  The three groups listed prior: Participation, Discussion and Exams all equal 100.  You make another assignment group titled Extra Credit and give that group 5%.  Now you total grading is out of 105%. 

OR

2) Example 2:  Add extra credit points to a already existing group, using the same example as above, we have three grading groups: Participation - 10, Discussion 30, Exams - 50.  To add extra credit points you would add a assignment within an existing group, let's say Participation,  There are 5 assignments in Participation and those 5 assignments equal 10% of the grade.  Now you add another assignment to participation labeled Extra Credit. 

Which is correct? 

Also, should the "treat ungraded assignment as zero" option be checked?

15 Replies
ltb103
Community Member

Hmm, that is interesting because it seems to go against what he said. 

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

He also said, that if you give an extra credit ITEM a point value inside the extra credit assignment group you are now punishing those that did not earn the extra credit.

This is incorrect, and yes, I've tested it a number of times to prove this to faculty. Granted the grade won't calculate correctly until all the grades are in the gradebook (which is why stefaniesanders​ recommends making the category worth zero until the end), but it will not penalize students who don't do the extra credit.

ltb103
Community Member

Hello,

I called Canvas Support and according to Landon at Canvas support here is the solution (keep in mind this is for a weighted grade book): 

Solution

Place the extra credit item in an already existing Assignment GROUP.  (This is consistent with the Canvas Guide documentation.  https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-2874 - skip down to Weighted Assignment Groups) Do not give that assignment item a point value.  If students completed the extra credit you must manually add their extra credit points to the extra credit item.  Obviously those that didn't do the assignment get a "0".

Landon stated that if you have an assignment category worth 5% of the grade and all of the other assignments are worth 100% the total grade is now 105% and everyone's grade will be calculated on a 105% scale.  He also said, that if you give an extra credit ITEM a point value inside the extra credit assignment group you are now punishing those that did not earn the extra credit.

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@ltb103 ​,  @kona ​ has directed you to the blog post I wrote about using weighted assignment groups to assign extra credit, and I hope you find it useful.

I want to address your last question: "[S]hould the "treat ungraded assignment as zero" option be checked?" This is a view-only setting in your Gradebook which does not affect what your students see in their own Grades tabs--so you can use it, or not use it, as you like, as long as you keep in mind that enabling it does not actually enter zeros that students will see; the only way to do that is to actually enter zeros where warranted. For a fuller explanation of how that toggle works, please refer to How do I treat ungraded assignments as zero in the Gradebook?

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@ltb103 ​, technically both are correct, but will change the way the extra credit is calculated into the final grade. My recommendation is to check out this blog - Extra credit using weighted assignment groups. - by stefaniesanders and see if that helps clear things up!

View solution in original post