cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

InstructureCon 2018 Instructional Design Meet & Greet #InstCon #IDMeetup

IDMeetUp Wed 7_25 7_45-8_45am near breakfast area. Come join the fun and meet ID colleagues!

Whitney Kilgore (iDesign) and Adrienne Gauthier (Dartmouth College) will be hosting the "Instructional Designer Meet & Greet" on Wednesday morning 7:45-8:45am at the breakfast location. Where that specifically is located is not yet known, but we'll be grabbing some real estate off the side like last year. Look for signs and follow our hashtag #InstCon #IDMeetup 

P.S. It will be a clown-free zone, as promised.

During the first breakfast of InstCon2017 Whitney Kilgore (iDesign) and I (Dartmouth College) sponsored an instructional designer "meet and greet" icebreaker for ID-types. It was a fun success where we were able to facilitate introductions through a fun bingo/spy game to help folks get connected moving forward into the rest of the conference. The sticker badges helped us all identify each other later on and it was nice to have an instant buddy in a room full of strangers.

We'd like to do this again this year and would like feedback. We're looking for icebreaker ideas, location suggestions, interest in extensions to the breakfast (ancillary events?) and wondering how we can get it more advertised (in the electronic program perhaps?!)

Brainstorm and comment away! We'll be keeping tabs here as we get closer to the proposal deadline and then moving closer to July.

Best, 

Adrienne & Whitney

P.S. We promise, there will be NO clowns at our meet-up.

31 Replies
Highlighted
Learner II

UX focus group "horror" stories are always fun. 😜

Highlighted
Community Member

I'm also an InstructureCon newbie. This sounds wonderful! I'm looking forward to meeting everyone.

Highlighted

Most likely! The idea is to have an active networking event at the start, to carry conversations and new friend meet-ups throughout the week.

Highlighted
Community Member

Adrienne.J.Gauthier@Dartmouth.edu‌, are you looking at doing this during breakfast on Wednesday?

Highlighted
Learner II

Thanks for helping organize this! As a Canvas newbie, I'm looking forward to meeting folks and learning from you all!

Highlighted

I like the idea of seeding questions. There could be a Google Doc or something where people can submit ideas ahead of time.

I've also had some success in the past with ID'ing some common topics/issues/interests, creating table tents, and then people can wander over to topics that interest them. (Also a good idea to keep a few blank ones on hand because other great ideas always emerge from participants day-of.)

Highlighted
Community Member

Wonderful! I will definitely be interested in attending.

Registration, reservations, and flight are booked and confirmed! Keystone here we come!

Highlighted
Community Member

I didn't go to InstructureCon last year, sounds interesting. I would come.

Highlighted

I've always enjoyed "speed dating" style Meet & Greet games. Questions are always fun!

Highlighted
Community Member

...anyone have any "game/icebreaker" ideas? We have an hour or so during breakfast -- I think we'll do the same as last year for timing. We're starting to design the "meet and greet" part of it. Something quick yet meaningful. Something people can wander in/out of and still get to know a few people, etc. or identify themselves throughout InstCon as "ID-types".

Post your ideas!