cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer

Microsoft Teams

Does this UX/UI look familiar? Canvas? Nope. It's Microsoft Teams which launches today. (A #slack competitor)

skype-teams-2.0.png

38 Replies
Highlighted

Hi taylor.williams@birdvilleschools.net‌ - how have you managed to integrate Microsoft Teams? Have you done this manually or something more clever?

Highlighted

Thank you all for this!  We have been enjoying having Teams integrated so far!  Just in the beginning stages! 

Highlighted

Hi Gideon,

Your are welcome and absolutely no affront taken.  I can definitely understand your frustration with the lack of development around the integration with Microsoft Team.  I honestly don't know where the prerogative would lie between the two companies but suspect it would be with the much larger of the two.  What I was speaking to more specifically is incremental improvements to native Canvas features.  And I do apologize for being vague.  Hope to see you at the next Canvascon in EMEA.

Highlighted

Thanks Scott for your reply and whilst this is not meant as any criticism of you (as you were very kind to reply) but my school would like to know more than just "near/middle term future" and being "pleasantly surprised". 

The development of Microsoft Team would be a major project for the organisation requiring substantial strategic planning, development and time commitment - not to mention costs!

If Instructure has a roadmap planned with Microsoft including development of the Office365 integration then perhaps between the two organisation they could commit to something more transparent/explicit with some actual dates?

I note that the initial discussion started by rgibson1‌ is now three years old and my post on similar matters - https://community.canvaslms.com/people/Gideon.Williams@britishschool.nl/blog/2019/05/05/microsoft-te...  is nearly 9 months old.

Sorry, rather frustrated with the pace of things and too many key features waiting to be made better...

Highlighted

Hey Gideon

The only thing I can say here is that I hope you will track the feature improvements we roll out in the near and middle term future.  I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Highlighted

No, I did not.

To be honest, it was a pretty disappointing affair. I thought Instructure would have their own area but for some reason they were a very small part of a larger Microsoft location. I still need to understand why this was the case - not sure if it is a good thing or a bad thing?

Perhaps it will be better to contact my CSM?

Highlighted

Hi Gideon.Williams@britishschool.nl,

Did you get any insight on a Teams/Canvas integration?

Thanks,

Ard

Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

I am off to the BETT conference in London next week where Microsoft and Canvas have stands. Going to ask each about the developments.

My own personal belief is that we cannot carry on with separate systems. We need to find some way to integrate both and find ways that we get the best out of Office365 and Canvas. Also need to find a way that allows OneNote and Canvas to become better companions and not for teachers to see this as an either /or situation.

My big concern with Canvas is that not only are we are not seeing any new developments on the Microsoft integration front but there are so many ideas of their own features desperately needing development and improvement. Just not seeing this happening despite the promise more designers and developers and a focus on core features.

The proposed buy-out and the issues surrounding it seem almost to be paralysing any developments - at least that is what it feels like to the outsider (and one who invests significantly in the Community).

Highlighted
Surveyor II

I would like to see if theres some integrations as well.  Even If I can embed it as a feed.    My thought it maybe I can use the Teams for posting daily assignments and such.  But then use canvas for submitting the assignments.  

thanks

Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Do have a look at this webinar from Microsoft Teams - 

https://microsoftteams.eventbuilder.com/TeamsEducationEvent and then Learning Management Systems and Microsoft Teams – a better together story webinar