cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Read Speaker/Free Software for Voice Reader Tools

Hello all!

I understand that someone have had previously posted about Read Speaker or some kind of apps or software that compatible with Canvas allow users to play the reader to read the content out loud from Canvas LMS. However, my question is that is there any free or open source that ready and available to integrate easily in Canvas now? 

Feel free to tag people that you think they might know the answer. Appreciate your kind assistance on this!

Thanks,

Jonathan

4 Replies
Highlighted
Lamplighter

ystan001@lifeskillshs.com‌, I don't have an immediate answer for you, but wanted to let you know that I've shared this with the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/accessibility?sr=search&searchId=bace87c6-71f9-4503-a4d7-5673...‌ group, and have flipped it over to a discussion, since it's more likely to (we hope) elicit a string of recommendations than a single correct response.

Highlighted
Community Member

Hi Jonathan, 

There are some Chrome extensions that may help. One we use is Read and Write for Google Chrome. Have you considered it?

271029_pastedImage_2.png

Highlighted
Community Member

ystan001@lifeskillshs.com I'm not sure if this will be helpful, but I tested several free Google Chrome extensions for K12. I didn't find one that was perfect, but I collected my test results in this document. I recommend selecting one based on the type of content you use most frequently. For example, only one of the extensions I tested ready any of the math symbols. 

TTS Chrome Extension Test Results - Google Docs 

Highlighted
Surveyor

ystan001@lifeskillshs.com‌, you might want to check out the free NVDA screen reader. The reader can be installed to a folder on a portable drive.NV Access | Download