Resources for Hex Colors

snugent
Community Champion

With the new calendar feature I thought it would be good to create a list of great resources for finding or creating your own hex colors to use with the calendar.

What is Hex Color?

From the Wikipedia it states:

A hex triplet is a six-digit, three-byte hexadecimal number used in HTML, CSS, SVG, and other computing applications to represent colors. The bytes represent the red, green and blue components of the colour. One byte represents a number in the range 00 to FF (in hexadecimal notation), or 0 to 255 in decimal notation.

How Do I Create or Find a Hex Color?

There are several great web services that allow you to create your own hex colors or find ones that others have created. In the example below I am using Adobe Color (formerly Kuler). Adobe Color allows users to create color palettes by using the color wheel. What you want to look for is the hex number for the color. Copy that and then go to Canvas and paste it in the option to set the color for a course in the calendar.

adobe-color.png

Some Other Color Resources

4 Comments
themidiman
Community Champion

Very nice resource, snugent

I like to direct people to this little utitlity if they need to know what color = what hex code: http://www.w3schools.com/tags/ref_colorpicker.asp

mjennings
Community Contributor

Great resources. We have done a lot of customizing for our institutions branding and we relied heavily on the following color sites:

Coloreminder - Html & Css Color Code

Flat UI Colors

flatuicolorpicker : Best Flat Colors For UI Design

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Nice write-up, snugent​!  I'm going to share your posting with our own school group here in the Community!

canvas_admin
Community Champion

I was recently introduced to Sip which is a Mac app with both free and Pro ($9.99) versions. I have found quite handy to either pull the hex of a color or to store our approved institutional branding colors as hex values that I can quickly reference.