cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Template for Canvas Homepage?

Now that the Canvas Announcements feature shows announcements on the home page (which we love by the way!), we're starting to rethink our old home page template that we use in every course.  I was wondering if anyone had any new designs they are using that they'd be willing to share?  I've attached a demo of what we currently do.  We're looking to have the instructor's contact info somewhere on the page as well, but we'd like to keep the course navigation box.  stefaniesanders your blog post (https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/designers/blog/2015/04/16/creating-an-inviting-course-home-pa... ) helped us immensely coming up with ideas for the home page in the past.  Are you using Announcements feature at all now? Does anyone have anything that they are using with success?  current homepage template

74 Replies
Highlighted

Hey Tracie. I don't know much about how it was done, just it was some combination of CSS and JS. This was one of the provided themes that was available to choose from and not having to know the specifics of how any of it worked was part of the beauty of having that tool Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Hi awilliams‌,

Do you know how they did that transparent left side of the page? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Our programme home page   ( banner using ppt images, buttons and css code for top banner auto colouring)

screenshot of programme home page

and our module home page  (originally top level module info in tabs across scene but now prefer this design using navigation block on right with static links to related pages that navigate back to module home page as displays similarly in canvas apps) 

292111_module home page.png

Highlighted

Hey Emily,

I can catch you up on CIDI labs.  You saw the early demos of Kennethware from Utah State... it has evolved into CIDI labs. Give me a call.

Highlighted
Community Member

Here is a homepage we worked on for our First Year Composition course.

Screenshot of homepage for Canvas course

Highlighted

I'm with you on that one debra.russell@education.tas.gov.au!

Let's get together and share some ideas. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Thanks Bobby. I find the Modules display is not that inviting particularly for younger students or for some of our students who have difficulties navigating online.

Highlighted

I totally agree debra.russell@education.tas.gov.au that consistency really helps. From there it is a breath of fresh air when a teacher uses the LMS to really enrich the learning experiences with the students. Hopefully colleagues could share ideas and build on/create consistencies across your school. After all you and your colleagues know your cohort of students best. 

Highlighted

I'm a graphic designer too. With the cohort of student we have, we find using a clear visual pathway from a homepage is the best way. If we don't do this, there is some confusion. It follows a pathway they are used to from using our previous LMS. Providing consistency makes it work well and we are working to strengthen that. 

Highlighted

As both a teacher and a student, I have been involved in courses that switch the home page from a custom design to the Modules list usually no later than the end of Week 2 (preceded by an announcement stating such). I rather like the idea.