cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Template for Canvas Homepage?

Now that the Canvas Announcements feature shows announcements on the home page (which we love by the way!), we're starting to rethink our old home page template that we use in every course.  I was wondering if anyone had any new designs they are using that they'd be willing to share?  I've attached a demo of what we currently do.  We're looking to have the instructor's contact info somewhere on the page as well, but we'd like to keep the course navigation box.  stefaniesanders your blog post (https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/designers/blog/2015/04/16/creating-an-inviting-course-home-pa... ) helped us immensely coming up with ideas for the home page in the past.  Are you using Announcements feature at all now? Does anyone have anything that they are using with success?  current homepage template

74 Replies
Highlighted

I create a page for the instructor's info and then link one of my buttons to that page. Here is an example:

Canvas Homepage example.

Highlighted
Community Member

Thanks for all the examples everyone has shown on this page!  Our team just went back through and looked at everything and it was very helpful.  Attached is one of our designs we might go with.  Has anyone found an easy way to link to the Instructor's info (and photo)?homepage

Highlighted

Hi Kate,

Do you know what school had this template home page?  I don't think it was ours so I can't get you the copy.  Maybe one of the Canvas Coaches can help you get this.  kona@richland.edu‌ do you know?  Thanks!

-Emily

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer

Here is an example of our homepage template. It is catered more to our needs as a competency based institution and gives the students a lot of information they may need in their current course or during their time at the college in their specific program. Each button links to the various needs of the student from a link to instructor info for all instructors who teach in that program to a list of digital resources students may need as well as the syllabus for the course.

275887_Canvas Landing page.PNG

Highlighted
Learner II

I did a workshop a few months back talking about homepage options (not just the pages front page). You can find a recording of the workshop here. The next pages in the module provide a few simple models that instructors can do themselves, and include txt files of the html. There's a simple list, a table with buttons, divs with buttons, and a large video tour. 

Highlighted

Thanks so much! This is great!

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

I love how different all of these are, yet all so effective. Thanks for the discussion starter franke@fau.edu

Some other examples got shared here. https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/k12/blog/2018/04/08/primaryelementary-home-pages-examples-ple... 

Highlighted

In your site, go to 'settings', go to bottom of page, under 'More options' is the option to turn announcements on. Will appear on whatever is nominated as front page. 2 is a good number. 

Highlighted
Community Member

Sorry to sound like an idiot, but how do I add an announcements banner to the home page. Somehow I missed it and I also can't find it when I search for it now. TIA

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

There's some hot new homepage templates located at Teacher Appreciation 2018 | Home Page Templates. Check them out!