cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Instructure
Instructure

Using Emojis in Rubrics

I was thinking about the pain scales I've seen in pediatrician offices like this....

238957_pastedImage_1.png

and wondered if I could incorporate visuals into rubrics. Guess what? You CAN. By incorporating emojis (from websites such as https://emojipedia.org/  or Unicode® character table ) you can literally tell your students their work is a pile of...

238971_pastedImage_280.png

JK! But I think there are some real practical applications of incorporating emojis into rubrics. What emojis would you use? Enjoy!

4 Replies
Highlighted
Navigator II

djohnson@instructure.com‌, this is simultaneously hilarious and awesome.

238969_giphy-downsized.gif

I can think of plenty of assignments on which I would have utilized this solution. Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Navigator II

...and I've shared it out to Higher Education‌ and K-12‌, whose members, I've no doubt, will get a great kick out of it.

Highlighted

Seeing emoji's in rubrics is a great idea!! (In moderation, of course!)

I immediately think of younger grades. Students can easily understand a set of basic icons that are used consistently to represent various levels of achievement. Use the emoji first, then, for the families, write out the text! Teachers use stickers, and students are likely to connect to visuals. I say, why not?!  ❤️  

I teach grades 9-12, and when I asked them about they wanted their grades to be represented (points, letter grade, etc.), a few actually asked if we could use emojis instead of A, B, C, D. This blog by dlyons@instructure.com‌ was the starting point for that particular idea: Grade with Emoji‌.

I can see students getting excited about emoji's in rubrics too. That would be a neat way to differentiate scores worth points from an outcome/standards that don't count towards a grade too.

Thanks for sparking some ideas!! 

Highlighted
Community Member

This just made my day!

Rolling on the Floor Laughing