Using Google Drive and course integrity issues

Jump to solution
lettgo583
Community Participant

I'm having some challenges understanding the value of an instructor using a Google Drive file in their course -- where the link stays the same from term to term (as intended), but the content of that file can change from term to term.

For example, an instructor links to a Google Drive file in their assignment instructions during term A.
Then in term B, the instructor updates that file with adjusted instructions (and continues using that same link during term B).
When that file is updated, the course content of term A is no longer correct ... students did not use the current version of the file, they used an older version of it.  Going to the course taught during term A will not reflect what the students saw/used. 

So the course integrity of term A has been compromised by using the Google Drive file in the assignment. 

I'm looking for (but not seeing) caveats related to this in the Canvas instructor guide pages for Google Drive, cloud assignments, etc. 

What have I missed? Is anyone else looking at this? 

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hi @lettgo583 

As for "caveats", I don't know of any that are documented, but Canvas users who embed dynamic content have known of this for some time. I started using GoogleDocs for my syllabi early in 2013, and noted the very next term that when I updated my syllabus for the new term, it also updated it in the previous term - bad juju!

While this feature can be very handy, it also comes with some drawbacks - that same dynamic functionality, makes it useless for documents from which grades can be derived.

Are you asking that this be noted in the Guides somewhere? If so, you could create a new Idea Conversation in this community.

Good luck,

Kelley

View solution in original post