cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

What are your experiences with Pearson MyLab LTI?

I am working with our math faculty to develop online courses, and want to know the experiences and possible tips/tricks/troubleshooting that anyone can share regarding Pearson MyLab products. We are using the Math Lab.

Do your instructors use the Canvas page to take quizzes, view resources, etc. - or - do you put the content into your course separately?

Just looking for some advice, experiences, etc.

Tags (3)
31 Replies

Hello Deborah,

Did you ever find a solution for this?

Evan

You posted this over a month ago so you may have a solution. However, I recently encountered this problem and identified the cause (at least for us). It doesn't appear to be documented in their guides but this tool depends on the instructor having the LTI add and edit permission in Canvas. If an instructor has that permission, the first time they launch the LTI in their Canvas course Pearson will generate about 10 additional LTI configurations. Pearson creates the new integrations with the instructor's API token (instructors authorize Pearson access to their account the first time they open it).

If, like us, your course roles aren't allowed to add or edit LTIs the new integrations will not be created on launch. Everything will appear to work fine until a user tries to open a synced assignment with a deep link.

Community Member

At my institution, every time we have integrated MyMathLab with Canvas, everything seems to work properly except for the deep links.  Everything is there and grade sync is functional; however, the deep links themselves act as if they are broken.  If I click on a MyMathLab homework assignments, the following Canvas error message appears: "couldn't find valid settings for this link" and there is a redirect to the Canvas home page for the course.  Out of curiosity, I compared the actual external link between last semester (now functional course) and this semester (broken course), and both are identical to each other.

We have done this three times (different instructors), and all three times this exact issue has happened.  Do you know how to fix it?  I have an escalated ticket with Pearson Support, but it is a hassle to go through this at the beginning of each semester and not know what must be done to fix the issue once and for all.

Community Member

I'm integrating MyLab for an Accounting course right now, and I'm wondering if anyone has insight into these two questions:

Can I change the points to 0 points after the grade sync, so that the assignment is extra credit?

Do anyone have any tips for making the MyLab assignments extra credit without using weighted grading?

Thanks!

We just ran into another quirk. If your Pearson credentials change, you have to go through their Level 1 and 2 support just to get to the point where you can file a ticket with the Engineering department to have your Pearson account disconnected from your Canvas account so that you may log in with your new credentials.

Luckily, Canvas is a reasonable software company and provides a work around for this. The user can delete the Pearson access token and the next time they use the integration they will be asked to accept the T&C again and provide new credentials. Disclaimer, I have no idea what this would mean for previously linked courses but I would wager it's not good so don't go deleting your tokens unless you can also live with your Canvas/Mylabs courses becoming disconnected. With that out of the way, here's the relevant guide. How do I obtain an API access token for an account?

I had the same experience when I worked at a community college (over and over)

559.jpeg

Just finished working with a student and he was not able to access the MyLab links using the iPad. Frustrating, will have to contact Pearson to see if anything can be done.

Community Coach
Community Coach

Yep, that's exactly what we experienced! I ended up ditching myStatsLab and doing the quizzing directly in Canvas. It's not the same, but it works!

Community Member

I've had an experience similar to Kona's. It "integrates" in the fact that a link appears. I originally hoped that MyStatsLab could be integrated with Canvas quizzes so we could have our online Stats course (one of our few online-only courses) use Respondus Monitor that is integrated with LockDown Browser. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. MyStatsLab quizzes takes you to a different environment... I don't think we're in Canvas anymore!

Instructure
Instructure

Use this URL, find the webinar called "Engage Students Effectively with MyLab & Mastering by Pearson and Canvas". I can't give the direct link to the webinar, but it is 45min video on how it integrates with Canvas. Smiley Happy