Are courses automatically added to a user's dashboard?

Jump to solution
mmitchell
Community Contributor

I may be crazy, but I've assumed for a while now that whenever a new semester starts (I'm in higher ed), a user's active courses automatically jump onto their Dashboard without them having to star anything and that previous courses move into Past Enrollments.

We opened a ticket with Canvas support because we had a Fall course that didn't show up on student dashboards and they said that it isn't an automatic process, that users always have to star courses no matter what semester you're starting or finishing.

I plan on watching what happens when our Spring semester launches on January 9th, 2017, but do any of you know if this happens automatically?

Note: We have an SIS integration with Banner, so courses, users, and course enrollments are mostly automated.

Thanks!

1 Solution
garth
Community Champion

@mmitchell ​ testing I have done shows that the Dashboard will only show 12 courses. It has been a while, but I think it's 12.  Point being, there is a limit to the number of courses that will "automatically" appear. 

If a student has more than 12 active courses, it is up to the student to tell Canvas which 12 courses they want to see on their dashboard.  That's where the "stars" come in to play, the student will need to click on "All Courses" and select their preferred courses:

Once a course is complete it should drop off the Dashboard and make room for new courses.

Expired courses will then appear in the "Past Enrollments" section:

I hope this helps.

View solution in original post