Canvas integratin with Scantron's Class Climate

Jump to solution
mzucal
Community Contributor

Has anyone successfully integrated the survey tool Class Climate with Canvas? We are just starting this process.

1 Solution
kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hello  @mzucal  :

I just found your inquiry. We are getting ready to start delivering Class Climate surveys via Canvas for our Fall end-of-quarter course evaluations. A very frustrating process to be sure. Before you read the rest of my tirade, know that our college admin purchased this system without consulting with eLearning.

The purported Class Climate integration is not really an integration at all, and is really just a tool for making a participant link available in every course. Unfortunately, it is not really "available" until someone manually adds it as an external tool into a module in every course. We have contracted with Instructure's Professional Services folks to push out a ready-made module with the participant link to all of our courses (at an additional expense). Another weakness of this integration is that it requires the compilation of data from our student information system to then be manually uploaded into Canvas via a CSV upload.  Almost all of the data uploaded could easily be obtained from within Canvas. We are also hampered by Class Climate's use of student and instructor email address as primary identifiers, instead of our unique student identification numbers. Users in Canvas are able to add their own email addresses and make them the default, which makes Class Climate's use of email very problematic.

There are only two of us in our office, and Class climate has owned our lives for more than a month trying to get everything figured out.

We are part of a state system of 34 community and technical college, and only one other college is using Class Climate, and they are primarily using the manual paper delivery of course evaluations which are then scanned into Class Climate.

Bottom line, you have my sympathy and if there is any way we can help we are there for you.

View solution in original post