cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
caerfalias
Community Member

Choose student view from assignment page

Shouldn't the "student view" button be available in more places on canvas?

It wastes time to have to click on your course home every time you want to see something from the student perspective.

Please add the "student view" button to the assignment detail page that appears after you save and publish. It probably should be added to the sidebar of the modules page and other things like quizzes, etc. 

Tags (1)
7 Replies
caerfalias
Community Member

I searched this in the community and did not find anything

0 Kudos
gnoack
Community Champion

It would be nice, but I think it could cause problems.  One issue is that it wouldn't work well to switch to student view on an assignment, quiz, or discussion that wasn't published or that had dates set to not yet be available.   If that happened, it would either kick you out of the course or show you that your activity was published and ready, when in fact it isn't.  I would bet that is why you need to start on the home page or settings page as those pages are unique. That way you can then navigate through your course to ensure it's published and ready to go. 

A quick workaround.  Copy the URL of the assignment, quiz, or discussion you want to view as a student.  Then go to the home page, switch to student view, and then paste the URL in the web browser. 

0 Kudos
cholling
Community Champion

@gnoack I tried your solution because -- WOW -- that would be so useful. However, my test still returned a no access warning. Could you talk more about your solution?

Thanks.

Cindy.

0 Kudos
gnoack
Community Champion

Hi cholling, 

I tested this before, but just tested again and it does work for me.  Make sure that the page or activity that you want to view is published. Also check to make sure it is in a module that is published and accessible to students.  If the module has a future release date set, it won't be accessible to you in student view. 

0 Kudos
cholling
Community Champion

I misunderstood. I've been trying to find a way to preview as a student something like an assignment or quiz that is NOT published or hasn't reached the Available date yet. I want to see it as a student would to make sure it's ready to go, but I don't want it published or available until then. Thanks for checking again and explaining.

0 Kudos
gnoack
Community Champion

That would be nice! Like an over-ride button or something. 

At my school they have created test courses for us that do not have any students in them. If you could get access to something like that, you could copy the activity there to view it.  But that sounds like a lot of work. 🙂

0 Kudos
cholling
Community Champion

@gnoack I have several test courses as I support faculty; I'm just a bit paranoid (cynical?) and want to see it in situ LOL

Cindy.

0 Kudos