Countdown Timer

mmay2
Community Novice

The end of the semester is coming up soon!  If you are looking for a good way to remind students to manage their time, check out this easy to create countdown timer: Free Countdown Timer for Your Website

I am flexible with due dates throughout the semester, but have more rigid policies for end of term.  To clarify this for students I have included this timer on the Canvas homepage for all of my classes.  (The Canvas Community blog doesn't support the embed code for a live timer, so here is a screenshot.)

timer pic.PNG

You can use this link to create your own:  Free Countdown Timer for Your Website.  Use the dropdown menus to customize your options.  Here are a few pointers to help you:

1. Enter the date and time you want your countdown to end.  Use 24 hour time (3 pm = 15:00).

2. Choose a background theme.

3. The background and font colors can be changed by entering hex code.  Here is a link to find hex codes for any color you choose: Color Picker - ColorPicker.com

4. Enter the text you want shown on the timer.

4. At the bottom of the page, you must select the type of webpage/server.  Be sure to change this drop down menu to "Secure Web Page" so that the code will work in Canvas.

5. Click the "Show HTML for countdown timer" button and copy the code that is shown there.

6. Go to the Canvas page where you want to add the timer.  Click for edit mode, and then click "HTML editor" at top right.  Paste the code into the page, and your timer should be live in your course!

Labels (3)