Discussion post cheating

Jump to solution
ghu
Community Member

When setting up a discussion for the class in under options section I check "users must post before seeing replies." I found out this semester a student can actually post a reply, which then automatically gives them access to other posts, then they can delete their original post and re-post without any indication to faculty that this process took place. So essentially they can view others answers, change their post answer with no indication to me as faculty this took place. Does anyone know if there is a way to manage this issue other than using Similarity?    

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Good morning, @ghu ...

It sounds like you need to change a setting in your course "Settings" page so that students cannot edit/delete their own discussion replies.  Seems to me this would be a solution to the situation you described...so that you can always see all of the replies to the discussion topics in your course.  Here's what to do:

1. In your course, click on "Settings" on the left-side course navigation menu.
  2. Scroll down to the very bottom of the screen, and click on "more options".
  3. Find the check box for "Let students edit or delete their own discussion replies".
  4. Remove the check from that option, and then click on the "Update Course Details" button at the bottom of the page.

Here is a Guide on the above process: How do I set details for a course? - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com) -- Look near the bottom of the Guide for the section on "View More Options".  There is also this Guide with a different process to do the same thing: How do I allow students to edit and delete their o... - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com).

Hope this helps a bit!

View solution in original post