For compositions, why are students sent messages that there are annotations when I use SpeedGrader?

areyes6
Community Member

I teach Spanish at community colleges in California. I just found out that when I grade the students' compositions with SpeedGrader, the students are repeatedly sent messages from Canvas that their "composition has a new annotation," or something like that. They told me that it is "creepy" to keep getting those messages while I was in the process of doing the grading, I can easily take 15-20 minutes to grade a whole composition, first highlighting in yellow the words that are problematic, then writing in blue what I suggest they write instead, then putting my editing codes in magenta. Who on earth thinks it is helpful for a student to see that bit by bit, or for them to be annoyed twenty times before their composition finally has a grade on it? It surprises me that anyone would think that this is a good idea. They should only be notified when a grade has been issued, don't you think? Could Canvas please stop doing this?

0 Likes