cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Heidi_Ross
Community Member

Grade totals has been disabled?

Jump to solution

So I suddenly have teachers who can't see grade totals when they pull individual student's grades. I know this has to be part of the recent release but I cannot find it except 1 area that says in the grade book totals can be changed to points/ percentages if nothing is weighted.

If there is a fix to this, it would be greatly appreciated.

HJ Ross

TCSD Admin

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Heidi.Ross​, initially I couldn't replicate this (total grades were showing for me), but then I went to my course settings and checked the box to "Hide totals in student grades summary." Once I did that when I went back to a student's grades I was unable to see the total grades. Could you check to see if you've got this box checked in your course (it's under more options under Course Settings --> Course Details)? If so, then that's the problem.

HideGrades.png

View solution in original post

13 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Heidi.Ross​, I tried to replicate to see if it was happening to me as well, but I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about in terms of "individual student's grades." I can think of a couple ways people might consider doing this. Could you provide information on what steps you're using so I can try this myself?

Heidi_Ross
Community Member

I admin 2 instances

Tooele and Utah Students Connect and Permissions, Feature Options are identical.

In Utah Students Connect, LA9-SY15-16 when I select a student and then Grades His still shows a Total.

In Tooele, Intro To Graphic Art, and select student grades the “Calculation of totals has been disabled” notice shows up.

And student grade totals do not appear. I need to turn this off so the grade totals show. It is not part of Features.

Heidi Ross

Updated: The fix is in Course settings!

Heidi.Ross​, initially I couldn't replicate this (total grades were showing for me), but then I went to my course settings and checked the box to "Hide totals in student grades summary." Once I did that when I went back to a student's grades I was unable to see the total grades. Could you check to see if you've got this box checked in your course (it's under more options under Course Settings --> Course Details)? If so, then that's the problem.

HideGrades.png

View solution in original post

Heidi_Ross
Community Member

Hide totals was checked in both instances, but Utah Students Connect still showed a total.

I unchecked both classes and in Utah students Connect, the grade total disappeared, in Tooele the grade total appeared.

I went back and refreshed both pages and now both show the totals. I will pass the fix on to teachers so the panic can end.

Thank you because I just found it weird that when settings are mirrored in 2 instances I wasn’t getting the same results. Who knows maybe its all the cyber shopping going on that’s bogging down things.

Mrs. Heidi Ross, M. Ed.

Tooele County School District

TCSD Online Learning Administrator

Tooele & USC Canvas Administrator (Utah Students Connect)

Office: 435-833-1900 ext 1139 | Fax: 435-833-8785

Email: hross@tooeleschools.org

“Creating a Culture of Learning for All"

Confidentiality Notice: This email transmission may contain confidential or legally privileged material that is intended only for the individual or entity named in the email address. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or reliance upon the contents of the email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email transmission in error, please reply to the sender, so that proper delivery can be arranged, and then please delete the message from your inbox.

Very strange, but glad you got it to work out!

Heidi_Ross
Community Member

Strange seems to be what I do. N

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Heidi.Ross​, I'm glad that  @kona ​'s recommendations--along with your additional guidance to make sure to refresh the page--did the trick, and I've marked her response with the "Correct Answer" designation.

This is kind of strange that it would affect only some classes so I've been trying to find a pattern.

So far if a class has 2 weighted assignment groups it isn't affecting them.

Classes with 4 or more weighted assignments groups the Hide box is automatically checked.

I can guarantee my teachers didn't select those options because they don't know they exist. So it must have been something with the Production Release, but why I can't pinpoint.

Heidi

Whoa, Heidi.Ross, that's both a valuable and exceedingly strange discovery. I hope you will submit a Help ticket on this (and to save yourself some typing, you could include the URL to this discussion in your description). Especially if it's something that arose as a result of the most recent Production Release, Canvas Support needs to be able to have a look at it.