cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
qnguyen
Community Participant

How do I find out the account_id

Jump to solution

Someone already created some Sub Accounts ( Departments) in our Canvas Portal, and here is my question:

- Can I find out what that account_id is so I can add that line to my account.csv file?

- When creating sub-account in UI, there is no way to add the account_id, only NAME

- Is there a way to batch-create more than 1 sub-account?

Thanks everyone

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
shane_ohara
Community Champion

Quan,

You will want to go one step further when you access the sub-account. Click on the Settings for that sub-account and look at the SIS ID value. This will give you the account_id value to enter for the csv file import. At my institution, each college code from our SIS was used as the account_id (or SIS ID) for Canvas.

This is an example:

Screen Shot 2015-12-16 at 3.42.54 PM.png

Best,

Shane

View solution in original post

10 Replies
brueckert
Community Champion

If you're an admin, you can click on the managed account within the admin tab of your instance of Canvas. The account id appears in the URL: YOURDOMAIN.instructure.com/accounts/YOUR_ID

This is how I understand it. Someone please chime in if there's a simpler way! I apologize; I can't help you on your other questions. I will defer to other experts in the field.

qnguyen
Community Participant

Hi,

This is the sub account ID not the individual admin account ( SIS ID)

Thanks for your answer

brueckert
Community Champion

You should be able to do this for sub-accounts in the same way. Click on the sub-account in Canvas, and the id appears in the URL.

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@qnguyen ​, as this is very much a question for admins, I'm moving it to the Canvas Admins​ group. If you're not already a member of that group, joining is just a few clicks away.

qnguyen
Community Participant

Hi Brian

Here is what I got https://ohlone.instructure.com/accounts/36

So on the csv file I will this number 36 to add new Sections to this Sub-account ( department) ?

Here is an example of what we have

course_idshort_namelong_nameaccount_idterm_idstatusstart_dateend_date
QUAN-101A 101A LAB UQUAN-101A LAB ??????????active
shane_ohara
Community Champion

Quan,

You will want to go one step further when you access the sub-account. Click on the Settings for that sub-account and look at the SIS ID value. This will give you the account_id value to enter for the csv file import. At my institution, each college code from our SIS was used as the account_id (or SIS ID) for Canvas.

This is an example:

Screen Shot 2015-12-16 at 3.42.54 PM.png

Best,

Shane

View solution in original post

qnguyen
Community Participant

Thanks Shane, that is what I just found out too. It is great

ny_adm
Community Member

Quan ---

If you want to do this programmatically, you'll need to use the API.

Particularly the Accounts - Canvas LMS REST API Documentation "Get Subaccounts for an account" method.

Basically, you start by passing in account_id = 1, and then get the sub accounts for it. Then traverse through the returned list, and for each of those, do another call to get the sub-accounts of those (rinse and repeat).

Let me know if this doesn't make any sense, and i might be able to show some code snippets of how im doing it.

Thank you Shane. I apologize to all; I was misinformed.