How do I manually mark an individual student as having completed certain items in a module?

Jump to solution
RDenette
Community Member

I need a way that I can mark individual items in modules as having been completed by an individual student - effectively, I need to be able to click the little icon on the student's modules page and have it switch from the red circle "started" icon to the green checkmark "completed" icon.

Here's my explanation of *why* I'd need to do this:

Our courses are set up and handed to us by others, so I'm not 100% sure how everything was set up.  One thing I do know is that our modules are set up as prerequisites to one another - so if a student didn't finish module 1, they can't start module 2.  Normally this works alright.

The first quarter of the semester just ended, and with that my students have been locked out of the assignments from the first quarter.  As long as students did their work, this is fine.

The problem comes in when I have a student who gave up during Q1.  Work that was never turned in prevents them from starting the next module, but they can't go back and submit their missed work because it's after the Q1 end date.  They'r effectively locked out of doing anything.

I need a way to let a student begin at the right place, regardless of if they've *actually* completed the module content.  

Please, someone, anyone, tell me there's a way to do this.  

0 Likes
1 Solution
blopes
Instructure
Instructure

Hi @RDenette 
Unfortunate, there isn't a way for you to mark something as done for the student. But depending on how the module is set up you can open the next module for the students by grading them. If you have edit rights for the module, you can change the requirement for the assignment to "score at least" and put in a score for that student. Or you can just remove the pre-requisite so it will be open for the student. 

You can create an idea conversation for that so we might create a feature specific for that in the future. 
How do I create a new idea conversation in the Instructure Community? 

View solution in original post

0 Likes