How to stop Canvas sending Zoom cloud recording link to all participants...?

Jump to solution
FabianChalmers
Community Explorer

My uni has Zoom integrated with Canvas, and I have scheduled online lectures via Zoom in Canvas. When I record my lectures to the Zoom cloud, Canvas sends emails to all the participants that the recording is available. I cannot find any setting to stop that. Does anyone know if it is possible?

There are two problems with the automatic invitation Canvas sends to the Zoom cloud recording:

1. I do not want to share the raw recording, but want to tidy up and sweeten the audio, before sharing. Plus, my uni has a site of its own where we put recorded lectures and share through posting the link in the Canvas course pages.
  2. A pass key is required to access the  Zoom cloud recording and the students ask me for that key, but I have no clue where to find it; I do can access the recording without any pass key.

So... is there any way to stop Canvas from automatically sending a link to the Zoom cloud recording? And I do not want to record locally, because I want to have access to and work on the recording both from home and from my office.

Thanks
// MVHMF

1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello @Rebeccahill12 and @FabianChalmers ...

I am assuming that the local Canvas administrator at your school or someone from your school's Online Learning/eLearning department has set up the Zoom LTI Pro integration with your Canvas environment.  One of the optional elements of the Zoom/Canvas integration is the ability to send automatic messages to students in a course when a Zoom meeting is created/edited/deleted or when a Zoom meeting recording is available.  As a Canvas administrator myself, we have set up this notification for our instructors and students.  This setting is not something that can be turned off at the course level.  It is a setting in Zoom that applies to everyone or no one at all.  You'd need to have a conversation with someone at your school who has configured the Zoom integration with Canvas to see if they would be willing to turn it off...keeping in mind that if it is turned off...it's going to be turned off for all your colleagues, too.

I hope this will help a bit.  Take care, stay safe, and be well.

View solution in original post

0 Likes