Import outcomes into a Canvas course.

Jump to solution
stuart_mcarthur
Community Member

I have asked the Community about importing outcomes to a course. I am a teacher that uses Canvas at a school that does not use Canvas. I created a CSV file of a few outcomes (to test) that I imported to a Canvas course. I received this email:

Hello 117650847174959313051,

Your outcomes were successfully imported, but with the following issues (up to the first 100 warnings):

Row 3: Outcome with ID 2 already exists in another unrelated course or account (COMPU101)
Row 4: Outcome with ID 3 already exists in another unrelated course or account (COMPU101)
Row 5: Outcome with ID 4 already exists in another unrelated course or account (COMPU101)
Row 6: Outcome with ID 5 already exists in another unrelated course or account (COMPU101)

I changed the outcome ID's to: 102, 103, 104 and 105 and received the following email:

Hello 117650847174959313051,

Your outcomes were successfully imported, but with the following issues (up to the first 100 warnings):

Row 3: Outcome with ID 102 already exists in another unrelated course or account (Computer and Networking Technology)
Row 4: Outcome with ID 103 already exists in another unrelated course or account (Computer and Networking Technology)
Row 5: Outcome with ID 104 already exists in another unrelated course or account (Computer and Networking Technology)
Row 6: Parent references not found prior to this row: ["104"]

I am unsure of what this all means because no-one else at my school uses Canvas. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks, Stuart

0 Likes
1 Solution
nronald
Community Explorer

Hi Stuart,

There is a tip at https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Question-Forum/Outcome-already-exists-in-another-unrelated-course... about changing ids which you have tried.

I suggest changing the ids to be specific to the offering though rather than using numbers alone, e.g., for this year's Research Methods units my outcomes are 2020-RM-001, 2020-RM-002 and next year I'll need to search/replace the year to avoid a conflict with this year's outcomes (as well as anyone else's outcomes). Values in the parent_guids column also need to be updated.

View solution in original post

0 Likes