LMB XML import erorr

Jump to solution
tyler_clair
Community Champion

I have been running manual XML based batches from the Banner LMB integration for the past few years and I have been getting similar errors to this:

import file: courses.csv, error message: unknown abstract course id CCRSRELS-4230, ignoring abstract course reference

import file: courses.csv, error message: unknown abstract course id CCRSMGT-1050, ignoring abstract course reference

import file: courses.csv, error message: unknown abstract course id CCRSMGT-1050, ignoring abstract course reference

import file: courses.csv, error message: unknown abstract course id CCRSMGT-3890, ignoring abstract course reference

import file: courses.csv, error message: unknown abstract course id CCRSMGT-3890, ignoring abstract course reference

I usually ignore this error as everything appeared fine to the instructors and students, but upon further investigation it seems that the import process ignores, randomly it seems, the account id and places them in our main account. In our Banner config we enabled the create courses based off sections to give us a course shell for every section. Now that we are looking more at our data I am realizing that these misplaced courses can throw off our Canvas data.

The reason why we are still using XML is because we create the courses based off of sections and if we ran a sections CSV file, it would set the section start and end date and most of our crosslisted courses have 12 sections which means that if we had to change the start or end date of a course we would have to change every section and the xlist course parent so 13 changes, at least. This allows the course to be the only organizational unit that has a start and end date besides the term.

I am curious if this has effected any other schools that run XML batches from Banner? Any work-arounds?

1 Solution
tyler_clair
Community Champion

TLDR; Forgot to include the courses xml extract with the sections and crosslist batch, no errors.

I consulted with one of our past admins and discovered I had been omitting the courses XML file from my batch uploads. The sections XML references the course code in the courses XML which contains the department and thus aligns the sections (course in Canvas) to the correct department.

View solution in original post