cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shouts
Community Participant

Pass / Fail Rubric Scenario - Ideas Wanted

Ok, Admins - I need some advice. We have a course where students submit a video. The assignment is technically worth 10 points; however, students have to successfully complete criteria on a checklist. The instructor wants to convert the checklist into a rubric. Each criterion doesn't have points associated with it. The instructor wants to be able to open SpeedGrader, view the video with the rubric open, and then select Full Marks or No Marks for each criterion. Students are awarded the 10 points if they "pass" a certain amount of checklist items (rubric criteria). We found that we can do this; however, when a student views the rubric from the Gradebook, he/she won't see if Full Marks or No Marks was highlighted. There are just too many students involved, so asking them to only look at the assignment isn't going to work. I'm looking for suggestions on how to make this work since Pass / Fail rubrics aren't supported in Canvas. Unless they are, and I haven't been told?

Our next ideas are to create a fillable PDF of the checklist so the instructor can use while watching the video in SpeedGrader or somehow incorporate this into a quiz.

Your suggestions / ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Sarah

4 Replies
canvas_admin
Community Champion

@shouts ​,  I'm not sure if this is what you're going for but I'll give it a shot.

If a student clicks on "Grades", the student should not be taken to the gradebook, but rather taken to a page where all assignments and grades are listed.   As you can see from the screenshot below , if a student clicks on the "rubric" icon on the far right of an assignment, the student can see the marks that were given (full or none). They are not highlighted, but a look at the "point values" will show whether the student got Full Marks (1 point) or No Marks (0 points).

2016-06-14 01.21.40 pm.png

shouts
Community Participant

There are not going to be points listed on the rubric, only Full Marks or No Marks. So, being able to see the rubric highlighted would be idea. Final points are given based on a certain number of Full Marks received. This may be a feature request.

Sarah

canvas_admin
Community Champion

Understood.  In my scenario, I wasn't using the points as points per say, but more as a binary system to count the number of criteria that were met.   So if I had my threshold at 5 and the student only had 4 "points" (criteria met), then I would manually input a 0 for a grade.

I tried having both the "Full Marks" and "No Marks" with 0 point values, but the rubric would not let me.

shouts
Community Participant

I was able to get the rubric to cooperate with 0 points, but the shading is only visible if students access the comments from Assignments, and not Grades. Unfortunately, there are too many students and instructors in and out of this particular course to "train" them to look at feedback in only one location. I think I may go ahead and submit a feature request to all a 0 point rubric.

Sarah