Prevent cheating on canvas exams

Jump to solution
rms7436
Community Member

Hi all, I am a university instructor and have some questions concerning students possibly cheating on Canvas exams. I've recently heard it is possible to find the correct multiple choice answer by using the 'Inspect Element' tool and reading through the coding. 

1. Are you actually able to decipher which answers are correct/incorrect by using Inspect Element. If so, how? 

2. I know that if a student were to open a new tab, Canvas would show that the student navigated away from the exam page. Would the Inspect Element flag this for the same reason? Or would it not be considered a new tab? 

3. I have also heard of the "15 second rule" about navigating away from the exam page. What does this mean? Does it exist? I was under the impression that Canvas alerts as soon as a student clicks onto a new tab, or does it only flag for it if it has been over 15 seconds? 

Thank you for any input

8 Solutions
gcollins1
Community Participant

A related thought just occurred to me: What if they use an incognito tab?

Realistically, anyone with a second device can look things up during a Canvas exam and not interrupt their Canvas viewing.

I know some of our professors are "proctoring" their Canvas exams, using Zoom, and requiring their students to keep cameras on; so the instructors can see eye movement and if they pick up a smartphone, tablet or laptop...

View solution in original post

0 Likes
sjones11
Community Contributor

I didn't see a way to see the answers via the Inspect Element view.  

You are correct. With a second device it is easy to look things up even with something like LockDown Browser.  The only solution would be some kind of proctoring software or as your colleagues do, watch them (which I think is creepy).   

Sorry I don't have any input on your other questions but I'd like to find out myself! 

0 Likes
trycanvas
Community Member

what if the student didn't open a new tab. The student opened a pdf file of lecture note. Will canvas log mark flagged?

0 Likes
admin19
Community Explorer

If you are concerned you can utilize Respondus. It is a lockdown browser. I included the link to their site here. It is a paid feature and one the university I attend uses. https://web.respondus.com/he/lockdownbrowser/

I don't use it in my course, but as a student, it is very effective for the prevention of using any sources during exams. 

sjones11
Community Contributor

I was not able to find any code containing answers with the limited testing I did acting as a student.  (Granted, I'm not a hacker.) Still, I haven't heard anything about this happening on the interwebs in general either.  I would think this kind of tip would spread.

0 Likes
sjones11
Community Contributor

As a side note, because people had referenced Lockdown Browser, they do now have a proctoring option that can be used while testing.  I'm hoping to test it shortly.

0 Likes
admin19
Community Explorer

sjones11, 

Who now has a proctoring option? Canvas?

Lisa

0 Likes
sjones11
Community Contributor

@admin19 Respondus has the proctoring option now as part of their LockDown Browser.  It can be installed into Canvas as an LTI.  I hope to test it next week.

0 Likes