Top Navigation menu under construction from 9:30am to 4:30pm MDT. For more information or tips for finding Community content, click here.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
patriciapflaume
Community Member

Single-Point Rubrics

I would like to use single-point rubric for a repeating assignment in Canvas. 

My rubric is three columns and three rows. The middle is the criteria. The column on the left is "area for improvement" and on the right is "exceeding expectation."

Two questions:

1. Has anyone used single point rubrics and do you like them?
  2. Have you used it on Canvas and how did you? I tried to see if the rubric provided would work and it does not seem to. Is anyone doing them another way and uploading them, perhaps, to the student's submission? If so, in what program? MS Word or something else?

Thank you!

Labels (4)
Tags (2)
6 Replies
PaulSijpkes
Community Member

I'm trying something similar using a two column Holistic rubrics, the Canvas default is three and I'm not able to delete the additional column.   How did you go with the single point rubric?

I had the same issue and hope there is a solution.

Hi, I ran into the same issue several months ago when I tried to use single point rubrics on canvas. I could not figure out how to make it happen. Perhaps someone else knows. I will follow this thread.

bowmanr
Community Champion

@patriciapflaume @PaulSijpkes 

I had no idea what single point rubrics were until I saw this post - and then google helped with the finer points.

Because you did not provide a scoring system, here is what I have come up with - this is the rubric in speed grader

bowmanr_0-1620741027137.png

Two notes - one all criteria values are 0 points.  Not sure if that is what you wanted, but that allows for the setup.  I took my format from my google result with the desired minimum work in the middle.  Obviously depending on which criteria you choose, the comment block would apply to that criteria.

Second, in order for the order to be correct you need to use the 1, 2 and 3 or something similar to start each heading.  With 0 points for each criteria, Canvas will alphabetize the criteria based on their heading.

If there are points for the middle criteria, then you have  to put it in the heading stating what the point value is - and then of course you have to enter it in the box on the right.

I guess this solution is about 50% of the way to what you actually want.  I would suggest submitting a feature request - but I doubt it would be implemented.

Thanks@bowmanr, this is close to what we were looking for at my institution but we'd prefer something with a single column and I think this is what @patriciapflaume was also looking for.

Many academics use holistic rubrics instead of the analytic style, since they are quicker to mark and sometimes it does not make sense to break down the result into stages since the assessment is more nuanced and requires more qualitative information.

We've worked out another solution but  it only works from the Assignment edit page.
Screen Shot 2021-05-12 at 10.11.04 am.png
IMO this option needs to also be available in the Rubrics section, something for the developers to consider.

The rubric now looks like this for students:

Screen Shot 2021-05-12 at 10.36.21 am.png

And like this for instructors:

Screen Shot 2021-05-12 at 10.38.03 am.png

bowmanr
Community Champion

@PaulSijpkes 

Thanks for the clarification.  I agree that there could probably be some additional creation features added to the rubric section where you can create rubrics so that you could create a free-form rubric in the rubrics area and then assign it to the assignment that you want.  I found the following post, and I think that the type of rubric you have can be created on a discussion as well. 

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-add-a-rubric-to-a-quiz/ta-p/1009

The interesting thing is it mentions quizzes also.  I looked into it a little, and that is correct for classic quizzes, but I could not see where you could add a rubric in New Quizzes (if that is true, it is another action you can do in classic quizzes that was not carried over to New Quizzes)